Chapter 45

"I was too strong, you were trembling
You couldn't handle the hot heat rising (rising)
Mmm, baby, I'm still rising
I was running, you were walking
You couldn't keep up, you were falling down (down)
Mmm, there's only one way down
I'm giving you up
I've forgiven it all
You set me free, oh."
Adele "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)"

August

"Are you still upset over yesterday?" Miracle asked me.

"Nah, I'm gucci. You have the right to act however you want." I replied, tying my shoe laces. The party's supposed to start at 6 and I need to get on the move. Miracle is just delaying me right now by asking me all these questions.

We went to the zoo yesterday because I thought it would be fun and we could chill like two regular people. Miracle was acting like it was the end of the world, complaining about the smell and the noise. Like didn't you know it was going to be like that when you agreed? Man, nothing can please her. I don't know what to do anymore.

"At least, I was smiling in the picture we took."

"Barely

"Barely. It was so fake. You didn't want to hold any of the animals." I added.

"You are in your feelings and it's embarrassing not only for you, but for me. So, man up."

"Don't even go there. If you knew that you wouldn't have anything nice to say about the place or the animals, you shouldn't have come at all."

"Alright, I'm sorry." She's sucking up to me.

"Whatever."

"Come on. How about we go another round, huh?" Miracle crawled over to me across the bed as I sat on the edge and started kissing on my neck.

"I got to go." I got up and picked up my keys from the dresser, making sure my wallet and phone were in my pocket.

"Where are you going?"

"A friend's kickback." I half told the truth.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I didn't want you to go.

I was originally planning to sneak out of Miracle's crib while she was in the shower, so I could over to Chris's house. I know Ashanti said I could bring Miracle, but I don't need any drama today. Miracle sometimes doesn't know how to keep her mouth closed, but that isn't always a bad thing. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one of my shoes and I took a bunch of time to look for it.

"I didn't think you wanted to come. Plus, you said you were going out with your girls tonight."

"August, you know I have to go. I can reschedule with my friends."