Chapter 30

"He said
I promise not to hurt you
I promise not to lie
I promise to befriend you
And defend you with my life
I promise you forever
I promise you today
He said, "Would you wear my promise ring?"
I said yes."
Tiffany Evans ft. Ciara "Promise Ring"

August

"Uncle Aug!"

I felt my body bounce up and down onto the bed with high girly, voices disturbing the peace and quiet that once occupied my room. I was having a good *ss dream. I was—sh*t, I can't even remember what it was about.

"What is going on with y'all? Don't you three know what time it is?" I picked up my phone and looked at the time, seeing that it was only a few minutes past 8. I checked my messages, while sleep was still in my eyes.

"It's Christmas! We want to open our presents, but Momma said we have to wait for you to wake up." Shyla answered.

"This isn't exactly waiting." I said, referring to them jumping on the bed.

"Get out of the bed right now or we will drag you." Aaliyah threatened, her hands crossed over her chest.

"Give me 5 minutes." I covered my head with the blanket to try and get some more sleep.

"Please." Imani begged, poking out her bottom lip in front of my face.

"Nope." I shut my eyes closed, thinking the girls had already left from the silence that was now in the room.

"Get him!" Aaliyah charged. I felt my arms and legs being pulled in different directions as they tried to drag me off the bed.

"Ashanti! Momma!" I yelled. The girls managed to get me flat on the ground, making my back hurt a little as I fell off the bed. I heard the door open and when I turned my head to see who it was, I saw my baby. She just stood there in the doorway, laughing at me along with the girls.

"Come on girls. Uncle Travis is downstairs eager to see you." They gasped, getting so excited. That's my younger brother. I think he came with his girlfriend, Sydney.

"Is Auntie Sydney here too?" The girls asked Ashanti who shrugged with a smirk on her face because she knew the truth. My limbs were released onto the cold floor as they ran out of the room, leaving Queen and I alone in the room.

"Get up." She entered the room and was holding back her laugh, observing my helpless state as I struggled to stand up on my own.

"You think that's funny?" I slowly walked towards her and she backed up to the other side of the bed.

"August no! I'm sorry for laughing." I jumped across the bed and pulled Ashanti by her waist, sending her crashing into the blankets.

"Why didn't you come into my room last night like I asked you to?" I softly touched her hair. Chandra hooked her up yesterday with a bob. Momma had her sleep in the guest room and the girls followed her like little puppies. She said she didn't want to hear any banging on the walls unless she was dreaming of Charlie Wilson.