Chapter 22

"Hey girl, I can see your body moving
And it's driving me crazy
And I didn't have the slightest idea
Until I saw you dancing
And when you walk up on the dance floor
Nobody cannot ignore the way you move your body, girl
And everything so unexpected - the way you right and left it
So you can keep on shaking it (Let's go)."
Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean "Hips Don't Lie"

August

"Who opened these blinds?" I groaned as I woke up with the sun's brightness blinding my eyes through the window. I could hear voices downstairs, immediately recognizing Chris's voice.

I hopped up out the bed and put my slides on because the floor was colder than Alaska. I realized that I was shirtless with only a pair of basketball shorts on, so I threw on a jacket. I brushed my teeth and washed my face to get the crust out from the corners of my eyes. As I walked downstairs, I checked my phone and saw that today was the 30th. I already my nieces are going to send me pictures of their costumes for Halloween.

"What's up, Aug?" Sean dapped me up. Everybody was in my kitchen, eating my food as usual.

"Don't y'all have your own houses? I always have to go buy groceries after y'all takeover my house." I picked up a piece of bacon off of Teyana's plate before moving out of her reach, so she couldn't hit me.

"August, give it back." She whined. You could see the tears, threatening to fall at the rims of her eyes.

"You can take mine." Iman offered and she gladly took it. Cry baby.

"Where's my plate?" I asked.

"Ashanti left it in the microwave for you." Chris replied.

"She's here?" I'm surprised. My baby is usually the first one to greet me when I come through.

"Yeah, I think she's in the back by the pool." Jhene said. I took out my plate that was still warm and walked to the backyard. I saw Queen's back as she sat at the edge of the pool with her feet, slowing kicking in the water while she was on the phone.

"Ashanti!" I yelled. She seemed startled by my voice because she fumbled and almost dropped her phone in the pool. She turned around to face me, trying to look all innocent.

"Hey, Auggie." She kissed me and put her phone in her pocket. I sat down next to her.

"Wazzam? Who were you talking to?" I questioned her.

"Nobody important. I was just calling a store to see if they had something I wanted." Ashanti answered.

"What store? What did you want?"

"Why you are asking me all these questions?" She raised her eyebrow. "Are you suspecting me?"

"Nah. I trust you, baby." I kissed her cheek to assure her.

"Mhmmm." She got up and walked inside, leaving me alone. I finished my breakfast before rejoining the crew in the living room.

"What do y'all have planned today?"

"Bruh, Vanessa dragging me to the nail salon later." Rotimi complained.

"It's not just for me. Your toes need some work." Damn, Vanessa exposed his *ss. We all looked down at his slides where his feet were covered with black socks.