Chapter 37

"It all can get so out of control sometimes
You can lose your faith, you can lose your mind
Lose your grip, get stripped of your pride
Till you don't know how you're gonna stay alive
And this world can throw you over the track sometimes
Your friends can stab you in the back
Sometimes you just break down
When this life tries to wreck you, I protect you."
Ciara "I Got You"

Teyana

"Congratulations, you're pregnant! Your estimated due date is December 20. Maybe if he or she decides to stay cozy and bundled up in your uterus, the fetus can be a Christmas baby. So, I am going to..."

Once my gynecologist told me that I was expecting, everything else she said was a blur; just an afterthought. I was so excited and I could see how happy Iman was based on his facial expression even though he was confused by the ultrasound because the baby was so small.

 I was so excited and I could see how happy Iman was based on his facial expression even though he was confused by the ultrasound because the baby was so small

"Do you have any questions?" Dr. Lewis asked us, primarily me.

"Are there any foods I should avoid or start eating?"

"I know that you're already a healthy eater with all those fruits and vegetables that keep you in shape. However, you shouldn't have rare or medium rare meat; it should be completely well done. Also, don't eat sushi since it's raw, but if you want to eat seafood, ensure that it's thoroughly cooked." I nodded as I took into account all she said.

"Can she still exercise?" Iman asked. Thank God he didn't ask the question most guys who are Dads-to-be ask: 'Can we still have sex?'. Plus he's been complaining lately that I'm getting more muscular than him, like excuse me. Fresh *ss muthaf*cker.

"Yes, especially yoga because it can relieve stress and any discomfort. If you go to the gym, try not to do too much heavy lifting and jumping as you get further along. Overall, don't overwork yourself to the point of exhaustion because you need to rest comfortably with enough breath and energy to continue with your day."

"Okay. Thank you." She handed me a prescription for my prenatal vitamins with a smile and shook Iman's hand. He opened the door for me and we left.

We're going to be parents.

The only bummer is that the baby is going to start school late, but at least he or she will be a Sagittarius like me unlike Iman who is a Cancer.

Anyway, that's not the point. I'm going to love him or her with everything I have. Hopefully, he or she has two parents no matter if Iman and I are still together or not. I knew how hard it was for my mother to raise me on her own. I don't want that to be our story.

What am I saying? Iman is not crazy enough to leave me by myself. He knows that I can slice him into tiny, little pieces with no regret. I'll miss him, but he did it to himself.