Chapter 19

"Boy, I can't seem to get you outta my head
But there's something about you that makes me smile
Don't change, I like the way you make me feel
Can we take our time and do this for a while
Girl, I never thought I'd find someone to love me
Now, you're the only one I want in my life
And the special touch you give comes from you only
I guess that's why you're always on my mind."
SWV "You're Always On My Mind"

Ashanti

"Nurse Ashanti, please report to the nurses' station. Nurse Ashanti, please report to the nurses' station." I heard my name being called on the intercom as I yawned.

"Why?" I whined, stomping my feet. I just sat down to do some charting after running around to give pain medication, calling doctors, and drawing blood. One of the nursing assistants called sick so I had to help some of the patients with things like brushing their teeth and getting them more pillows.

I walked across the floor, moving through the other employees and equipment. I finally reached the nurses' station and put my hand under my chin as my elbow laid on the counter.

"You called for me?" I asked Nurse Aimée, whose name is pronounced as Amy. She is one of the nicest women you'll ever meet. On my first day, she helped me get situated while everyone else was still warming up to me. She got married two years ago and recently had a baby baby, who is so adorable.

"Behind you." She pointed. I turned around and saw a man wearing a green shirt with a white baseball cap and khaki pants. He had a beautiful vase of flowers in his hands.

 He had a beautiful vase of flowers in his hands

"Are you Ms. Ashanti Moore?"

"Yes, I am." Who sent me flowers?

"Sign here please." He handed me a clipboard and I handed it back to him after writing my signature. He gave me the bouquet of pink roses, lilies, and carnations with an envelope.

"Thank you." He nodded and then walked over to the elevator, so he could go down to the lobby.

"Someone's lucky. What does the card say?" Aimée became so eager to know that she attracted attention from people nearby.

"Girl, give me a second. Let me read it first."

To my Queen,
I know you're probably thinking; what in carnation! I could have gotten you something much more expensive, but it's the little things that count. You are so beautiful and strong. You rose over every challenge and I'm proud to know you. I'm always thinking about you because you mean the world to me. I love you a lily more each day. I hope you noticed the flower puns.
Love, August

I blushed. I never knew that August could do something as sweet as this. He's always looking out for people and has a big heart for the special people in his life. I've just never seen him do a romantic gesture like this.