Chapter 15

Two months had passed since Lin Xinglan decided to take care of the black cat with emerald eyes, Xing. Unfortunately, no one had claimed the cat and the cat would sometimes go out only to come back before his food time.

Lin Xinglan sat lazily on a chair beside a table and silently listened to the gossips the customers were talking.

She sighed, she had heard a lot of rumors about the fourth prince, Qiang Jingyi, from the customers. In fact, she heard them almost every single day ever since the fourth prince came back victoriously from his first war, he was only 14 back then.

At first, Lin Xinglan couldn't believe what she had heard, that adorable and cheerful little prince she knew went to war at such a young age, how could she believe it? But later, she got the confirmation. It had been two years since then, soon he became known as Bloody Asura. The rumors of how ruthless and cold he was when he went to war was where he got the nickname.

He also became a general at age 16, wasn't it too amazing? Lin Xinglan didn't know much about war and politics but to be promoted to a general at such young age was limited and uncommon.

To think that the prince became like that made Lin Xinglan's heart ache in pain. He must had gone through a lot ever since she stopped meeting him, he was unfavored so he was all by himself and now he became famous and was no longer unfavored from all the results of his achievements and talents.

Lin Xinglan was proud over how far the fourth prince had gotten but then, she felt a little downhearted. The prince must had already forgotten about her, why wouldn't he? He now had the citizens' hearts; with his rumored extraordinary looks he became unmarried women's love target, with his outstanding achievements he became the ideal type for the men to strive after.

He had the money and the connections. Even though he didn't become the crown prince, he would soon rise to the top. It wouldn't take long until he would become an important figure to the Emperor and receive his favor.

The rumors also said, although the fourth prince had extraordinary looks and intelligence, his personality was cold and indifferent. It was difficult to interact with him but nonetheless, the citizens knew he had went to a few war and every single time, he came back with victory and had protected the empire so they were grateful.

That whole thing was the opposite of what Lin Xinglan knew about the fourth prince, she knew something must had happened to him to become like that. She thought of the jade hairpin that was currently in her pocket. She would always take it off whenever she worked, to take away any risks that the fourth prince might recognize her if he saw her.

Despite all the rumors, she had never seen fourth prince again after she had parted with him 5 years ago, but that was fine, she didn't want him to see her anyways.

It's good if he doesn't remember me and it's normal to forget about a teacher as a graduated student. He doesn't need me anymore, we are basically strangers now.

Lin Xinglan tried to reassure herself and hoped the best for the fourth prince's future.

A servant came to Lin Xinglan to give her a message from the owner, Bao Wen Bo. The owner was telling her to come and find him after she was done with whatever she was doing. Lin Xinglan thought it was just one of the things the owner would usually tell her to do; preparing tea and grind the ink for him.

She finished drinking her tea and walked to the study room where the owner often was in.

"You sure got brazen, coming into my study room without knocking." The owner looked at Lin Xinglan and criticized her.

Lin Xinglan bowed, "Sorry, Old Bao. Xinglan couldn't wait to see you and learn other wonderful things from you. Having such a wise mind, one wouldn't want to waste any precious time."

The owner looked at the young girl, "Little girl, you're getting good."

Naturally, she had been practicing to fawn and flatter other people to avoid getting in unnecessary troubles. If she couldn't show her improvements then she would had wasted her time on practicing.

"What does Old Bao want me for?" Lin Xinglan asked him before she straightened her back.

"Follow this old one to the palace to meet the Emperor." The owner casually stated.

Lin Xinglan thought she had been struck by lighting. She wondered if she had heard him right.

"W-wha... What did you say?" She stuttered out the sentence.

"Little Xinglan, follow me to meet the Emperor."

WHAT THE FUCK.

"The Emperor requested a meeting with this old one. The Emperor gave this old one a task to paint a certain landscape." By the tone of the owner's voice, it seemed like he wasn't happy with it.

"But why did the Emperor choose you, surely they would have an Imperial painter in the palace, right?" Lin Xinglan gave him a skeptical look.

Having be able to meet the Emperor wasn't easy at all, especially if you came from the lower status, and she knew there was no way the Imperial family couldn't afford a painter. She admitted she disliked the Imperial family but only because of how rich they were, if only she was as rich.

"Yes, the Emperor seemed to take a liking to my style of art."

She knitted her brows, she was confused over something, "Old Bao why take Xinglan along? There are other people more suitable than me with their experience and etiquette."

| |─‿‿─)🍵🍵🍵

Ah yes, will Lin Xinglan really go to the royal palace to meet the Emperor? That, you will know in the next chapter.