Chapter 40

Exactly two weeks had passed and Lin Xinglan was still in a house arrest. She had tried multiple times to convince Qiang Jingyi but he didn't budge at all. If Lin Xinglan wouldn't tell him then he had no reason to let her go out. He didn't want to be cruel towards her but he felt that if he didn't hold her tightly, she would one day disappear and that thought frightened him a lot.

He needed her to understand that he had feelings for her and only thought of her safety but at the same time he was afraid to confess to her so he decided to show his affection through his actions. Seeing her acting obedient these past days, he felt relieved and calm. On contrary, Lin Xinglan was secretly figuring out a plan to sneak out.

She knew how serious Qiang Jingyi was but she was still not mentally prepared to tell him everything yet. Every time she opened her mouth to tell him, she couldn't let out a word. Lin Xinglan wanted to go out and clear her head but with Qiang Jingyi's surveillance, it wasn't possible for her to simply step out of his manor without getting stopped.

In addition, she swore she could bet he even ordered his hidden guards to keep an eye on her. She had never seen one but she was certain there were hidden guards all over the places, it was her instinct. Even if there were none, it was better to be careful.

As if the Heavens listened to her, she finally found a way to sneak out. She had overheard servants talking about food carriages coming here to deliver tomorrow morning. Lin Xinglan planned to pretend to go into the kitchen and then in one way or another jump onto a carriage and hide herself until she was out of Qiang Jingyi's estate.

Not exactly the smartest and most original idea but she couldn't think of better ones so she could only pray for her luck.

Eventually the next morning came and Lin Xinglan walked to the kitchen until a servant stopped her.

"Young miss, where do you plan to do in the kitchen? It is a busy and messy place, young miss shouldn't go in."

Lin Xinglan smiled and said, "Please don't tell anyone..." Then she whispered into his ear, "I was going to cook for his highness, I want to make it a surprise so keep it a secret, okay? I'm sure his highness will become happy."

The servant looked at her as if he observed her but then he gave her a toothy grin, "Alright, this servant is sure Master will be really happy."

Before he walked away, he said, "Good luck, young miss."

Sorry for using you, Jingyi. I'll pay you back.

Lin Xinglan nodded and walked into the kitchen, there were many people inside, they were busy with their work so they didn't notice the small figure.

As stealthy as she was, she walked into a room and not only did she found out it was a storage place, she also found spare clothes. It was a simple manservant clothes. Quickly changed her clothes and fixed her hair, she casually walked out of the room and towards the backdoor. Because of her attire, the other people only thought she was just another servant and didn't bother her.

Lin Xinglan saw a few carriages outside and checked her surroundings before she jumped onto one of them. She placed the vegetables in another place, once she had enough of space to sit on, she covered herself with the vegetables from before. Now all she had to was to wait.

After a short moment, she could feel the carriage moving slowly and then it picked up its pace and ran in a much faster speed. During the ride, Lin Xinglan's heart was beating heavily, she was both anxious and nervous, she silently prayed she wouldn't be found.

The carriage she was on stopped moving, she peeked into a tiny hole she created and saw that they were possibly in the capital city. When she made sure the coast was clear, she quietly jumped off and ran away from the scene as fast as she could, afraid she would alert the carriage driver.