The Meeting

Picture of Damien's Mother

While Damien drives we listen to radio and rap along to the music. We've been driving for a minute now. I can tell that we are headed downtown.

"Hey Babe what resturant did your parents decide on?" I ask Damien.

"Ummmm some fancy resturant downtown it's called Harold's, some resturant my mother wanted to eat at, she says it's really good, I believe it's Cajun food" he says not taking his eyes off the road.

"Ooooooh that sounds really good! You know I love Cajun food!" I squeal.

"Yeah I know" Damien says looking over at me and winking. "I may have tipped my mom off on that" he says laughing .

"Aww that's so sweet babe, thank you" I say holding his hand since he's only driving with his left.

The GPS says we will be at the resturant in 10 mins. I start to focus on my breathing to calm down my nerves. I guess Damien senses my anxiety and squeezes my hand for reassurance . I stare out the window and look at the cars we pass. Damien drives extremely fast but it doesn't really scare me, which I like .

I start to wonder how Damien's parents will be . Will they be shy like him? Or will they be outgoing like Damien gets around people he knows. Or maybe they will be a mixture of both. I start to wonder where Damien gets his features and his mannerisms.

"You have arrived" the GPS says bringing me out of my deep thought.

Damien pulls into the resturant and it's packed.

"Everybody must love this place" I say, "it looks like the entire city is here" I laugh.

The resturant is beautiful. It's painted black and looks like it is two stories tall. The style mimicks one of those antebellum southern houses that have the wrap around decks on both levels with those pretty fans hanging from the ceiling.

Since it's winter time no one's outside on the decks, but I bet it's beautiful in the summer when it's warm and everyone is eating outside.

Damien parks in one of the back lots since the resturant is so packed.

"You ready Nomi?" Damien asks looking over at me.

"Yeah I think so" I say nervously .

"Come on then" he says giving me a smirk .

I open the door and get out fixing my clothes making sure everything is in place. I bend over and look at my reflection in Damien's black charger. I fix my hair and make sure that my thigh high boots are pulled up to my thighs since they like to slide down so often.

Once I feel confident in my reflection I make my way to Damien.

"Come on slow poke. You look so beautiful already" he says sweetly .

I do a cutesy jog and catch up to him grabbing his left hand reassuringly .

We make our way to the front door of the resturant. I look around and see people staring at me and Damien. Before walking in we pass a group of girls that look as if they're celebrating a party of some sort. Maybe a bachelorette party, or a 21st birthday party.

They're so loud and obnoxious, it's annoying . A couple of them turn around and make googly eyes at Damien which upsets me.

I hear him laugh flirtatiously and stare back at them with a smirk.

Did I see that correctly? Hmmm. I'm most likely just imagining it. I shake the thought and hold his hand tighter.

Once we make it inside we go straight to the hostess podium.

I hear Damien telling the hostess his name and the details of the party.

"Oh wait you said the name is under—"she stutters slightly "the last name is kras—" she struggles .

"The name is Krauskopf " Damien says perfectly.

I feel bad for the hostess as she starts to blush  struggling over Damien's last name. It took me months to correctly pronounce his last name so I completely understand why she struggled.

I remember back in school people would make fun of his last name. Dudes were so ignorant saying how you black with that weird ass last name. I roll my eyes at the memory.

Looking back at the red faced hostess she says "it says here  that they're already seated" she smiles awkwardly.

"Follow me please" she says gathering two extra menus.

On our way to the table Damien reaches out and touches the hostesses' arm reassuringly. I frown at that.

I hear him say to her "it's ok everyone messes up my last name".

She blushes even harder as he smirks at her. She gets a little pep in her step as she winds us through the resturant.

I want to bring up that I have a problem with how he went about that, but then I tell myself that I must be overreacting and that he was just being sweet .

Everyone says we're perfect together and adores how sweet Damien is. I'm just overreacting I say shaking off the feeling. 

"Here we are" the host says as we round the corner to the table.

His parents are sitting in the booth with their back to us so I'm not able to get a good look at them rounding the corner.

I hear Damien thank the hostess, and she finally walks off. Damien grabs my hand softly and pulls me closer to him.

"Heyyyy Mom and Dad!" I hear him say happily.

Both of his parents stand up and out of the booth.

"Damien!" I hear his mother say adoringly. "Oh my gosh hello!" His mother squeals looking me up and down.

She spreads out her arms and comes into me with a strong embrace. She smells like warm vanilla which warms my heart.

Damien's mother is a tall woman, slightly taller than me, which surprises me. I'm a good 5'6 and I'm in heels. Wow.

"It's so nice to meet you!" She says smiling pulling away from our hug.

"Nice to meet you to." I say sweetly.

Now that we're not in an embrace anymore I look at her face. She's  a beautiful brown skinned woman, he hair is curly and untamed which frames her face. I see where Damien gets his eyes and his lips from.

She's breathtakingly beautiful.

She gives me a warm smile and moves around me to hug Damien.

Once she moves I finally see Damien's father. He stands back letting Damien's mother greet his son and me first.

It's weird because I see Damien's father's chest before his actual face. This man is tall I mean Tall! I look up at his face and I see where Damien gets his nose and his light eyes.

Damien's father looks down at me and smiles. Which actually makes my stomach flutter.

Why did my stomach flutter? I kick the question out of my head.

"Hello nice to meet you" I say giving my best smile.

He stares down at me not reacting for a second which brings me back to my horrible nightmare. I tell myself to calm down and be cool.

I see his eyebrow lift almost as if he's trying to take more of me in. I feel as if I'm being inspected and start to feel a little awkward.

He breaks the silence by clearing his throat.

"Hello wunderschön, it's very nice to meet you too" Damien's father says with a slight German accent. (beautiful)

His accent throws me off a little. Damien has never mentioned it.

Damien's father is still staring at me when I hear Damien's mother say "Ok enough greetings. Let's sit down".

I feel Damien's hand guide me to the inside of the booth. We scoot in and get cozy.

I hope this dinner doesn't go as weird as what just happened.