Strange Encounters

Picture of Damien's Father

Everything is going well. I can tell that Damien's mother, Mrs. Krauskopf , is the talker out of the two. She's a very sweet woman and it's obvious that she absolutely adores Damien. Damien's father , Mr. Krauskopf, on the other hand hasn't said much , but I can tell that he's a listener and a thinker.

"So what are you studying at school Naomi?" Mrs. Krauskopf says smiling.

I smile " I'm an art major with a concentration in interior design. My dream would be to work with this one firm in the city and design homes" I say dreamingly .

"Oh wow tha—" Damien's mother starts to say.

Damien's father cuts her off and asks " Which firm do you have in mind?"

I look across from me and see Damien's mother looking annoyed at Mr.K. I shyly look over at Damien's father. His deep sea blue eyes staring deep into mine curiously.

Damien speaks up for me sensing the dynamic change between his parents.

"She wants to work for that one firm, Declan Interiors" Damien answers his father . "I actually think you know someone there ? Don't you?" Damien asks.

Mr. Krauskopf doesn't look at Damien, but keeps a steady gaze on me and says "Yes I do actually. I have some pretty good connections in the city art wise, I'm an artist myself actually."

"Oh yes Damien has told me!" I say smiling " he even showed me some of your artwork. It was amazing... the colors... the composition... everything" I say dazed thinking about the piece now in my head .

I see his father smile for the first time in the night. He keeps a steady gaze on me which starts to become less uncomfortable oddly enough.

"Thank you, that means a lot coming from a fellow artist like yourself" he says winking at me.

In the moment I thank the lord for my darkskin because I start to feel my cheeks get warm and I know I'm blushing. 

The waiter comes over and saves me from the awkward moment . She places waters near me and Damien.

"Do you guys need some more time on those menus?" The waiter asks.

I realize that I haven't even got a chance to look at the menu, being caught up between Damien's mother's many questions and his father's hypnotic stares.

"Yes I will need a little time please" I say to the waiter.

"Ok no problem, take your time love" I hear her say .

She turns away and walks to the back and I catch Damien looking at her butt as she walks away .

I start to heat up with jealousy and excuse myself from the table.

"I'm sorry I need to head to the ladies room really quick" I say. Damien lets me out of the booth and looks at me worriedly. I don't even give him a glance as I make my way to the ladies room.

I feel my eyes water over being so openly disrespected by Damien. This isn't the first time I've noticed the way he talks to and looks at other girls, but I always pushed it aside because literally no one else has ever sensed it. I chalked it up to me being super jealous or just overreacting . I start to feel worse knowing that meeting his parents is very serious , something that people in secure relationships do .

I guess I never wanted to actually give it thought, the things that make me uneasy about Damien . He's just so sweet and charming . He's always made me feel so beautiful ... but I'm starting to wonder if he's that way with everyone .