Are you expecting someone?

"Imagine meeting someone who wanted to learn your past, not to punish you, but to understand how you needed love." - The Mind's Journal

" - The Mind's Journal

Dr. Everett let out a breath of fresh air as Janneth walked out of the door. He was relieved that she agreed that it was better to extend her appointment for a later day because it was overwhelming him.

He forced himself to believe that Janneth was making all that mumbo jumbo - spirit conspiracy up. That must be a valid explanation. In fact, there wasn't any proof that ghosts exist in his mind. Yet, that idea made him think twice about it, and chills began running down his spine.

Brushing his thoughts away, the doctor decided to tell his secretary, Vera Louise, to cancel all his appointments for the day, since Nolan could no longer focus on anything else after Janneth's case.

The secretary was a woman in her late forties and her blonde hair was beginning to turn gray, yet her old age never slowed her down. Her worn-out face could appear weary at times, but usually, she was very active and alert. Her eyes appeared milky when she was tired but usually, they were gleaming with energy. Vera would greet all of the doctor's visitors with a smile no matter how she felt and was the friendliest person in the suite according to Dr. Everett.

However, she held something deep inside as well, since she grew up as an orphan longing for company. She needed someone to keep her busy at all times, and that is why she refused to retire from her secretarial job. Vera wanted to stay put in Dr. Everett's office as long as she could. Besides the friendly atmosphere, she knew she was part of the team, one who would be greeted every day.

 Besides the friendly atmosphere, she knew she was part of the team, one who would be greeted every day

After putting some papers together. Vera looked up from her desk to see a weary face approach her. With a simple smile on her face, she greeted him.

"Why the long face, Doctor? Difficult patient?"

She knew it was rude of her to say the last line since she didn't have a right to assume such things as it wasn't any of her business, but Vera was willing to take that risk.

Nolan nodded his head in order to let his secretary know that he didn't want to talk about the previous incident that happened earlier and decided to just sum it up.

"Something like that Vera. Please cancel the rest of my appointments for the day, I need to rest. In fact, I might take a ...". But before he could finish his sentence, he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Earlier, Janneth didn't know how to catch Dr. Everett's attention, so despite her timidness, she walked over to him and patted his back.

But as she did this, the touch of his jacket's texture aroused her in such a way that made her feel uneasy. It was as if it reminded her of someone she knew in her past.

A former love that had the same smell, wore the same clothes and gave her terrors. A former past she swore she felt didn't last but longed for. But it couldn't be Dr. Everett, for her past love died and was never seen again.

But in reality, Janneth wasn't ever in a relationship before so whoever she was thinking of must have been someone else's dream. Yet, it still irked her as if someone or something was 'playing' with her mind.

Ignoring that idea, she headed back to her social worker, Joanne, as if she were a trembling little girl who wanted to hide behind her mother.

Dr. Everett looked at her and noticed that Janneth was standing next to someone quite familiar. He fished through his mind on who this mysterious woman was and walked over to Joanne.

"Dr. Everett, this is my social worker, Joanne Swanson."

After shaking hands with this new person, Nolan felt a force, something like an electric shock hit through his veins. Not one of romance, but a bolt out of the blue; a surprising disturbance. He then remembered the moment he met Joanne before his wife took sabbatical leave.

He also recalled meeting a troubled colleague who worked in the Addiction Psychiatry Department who complained about an ex-wife. This gentleman confided to him that Joanne was a social worker who just wanted him to pay alimony for their children.

That thought shocked Nolan, as it clicked in his mind that everything that was happening before him seemed to connect, but wasn't sure how the pieces would all play out. So instead of saying something he might regret later, he smiled.

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Swanson. Haven't I met you before?"

Joanne believed Nolan knew who she was, but wanted him to keep on guessing, so she just smiled back. She could read the fine lines across his face, one for each lie.

"Ah ... do you happen to be the former Joanne Hadley, Dr. David Hadley's ex-wife?"

Bingo!