Sweating in an Ocean Alone

"You can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself."

― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

With a clenched jaw, an intense eye contact, and furrowed brows, anger was written upon Gustavo's face

With a clenched jaw, an intense eye contact, and furrowed brows, anger was written upon Gustavo's face. Jealousy, a lack of trust. A vice he could not get rid of as if someone was playing with his mind.

Nevah was a handsome man, charming to an extent that Gustavo disliked. In fact, he figured if he weren't in his working clothes, he too could pull off a tuxedo. All he had to do was take a shower for Gustavo smelled fishy after his dive, shave off his stubbles, and he'd be good as new.

Yes, a bit of envy was definitely approaching as if a cheesy little green man had bitten him.

Gustavo decided to raise the bar, by interrogating his new rival.

He shook Nevah's hand, making sure Everett knew who he was dealing with; a muscular man. And that Mary Anne was off-limits, even if the two were just known as an on and off again couple.

"Wow, that's some grip you got there ... um didn't quite catch your name."

Nevah shook his own hand to and fro in the air for emphasis.

Smirking, Gustavo let out a chuckle.

"Sorry about that, Everett. Sometimes I don't realize my own strength. My name is Gustavo Arabulla. I am one of the sea divers who found the relic you asked the lab to retrieve."

Nevah smiled even though he got the hint of why Gustavo tried to break his hand. He figured that it's a man's ideology to protect the woman he loves.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Gustavo. I'm glad you and Mary Anne were able to find it."

With a wink he added that Gustavo had nothing to worry about.

"Oh, Mary Anne and I knew each other in college. We dated for a bit, but that was then and this is now. If you guys have something going on, I won't be in your way."

Embarrassed to know that Nevah read his body language, Gustavo felt guilty for what he did. He just wasn't satisfied with his opponent's answer. But even though he felt like the bad egg here, he decided to change the subject as Mary Anne's cheeks started to show some redness.

"So, what are you going to do with the prism, Everett? Are you going to open the case?" Gustavo asked inquisitively.

Nevah shook his head. Heaven forbid, if he did so, She'd be released. He only knew the evil entity as his dad called her. His father told him never to say her name again as one of his former clients was taken away after Judge Warren heard that Miss Hudson accidentally stabbed her social worker in the chest.

His theory was that whatever happened when She was released into the ocean, that evil spirit would not leave without a final revengeful attack.

Nevah learned that Miss Hudson spent her last days in a straight-jacket. A poor thing to remember her by and that's when Nevah's father became a lunatic himself.

Nevah figured the mysterious entity couldn't touch him, for he never met this person. But he had this 'itchiness' to find the truth that the prism existed. He then wanted to put it in a museum for all to see and She'd be locked up in a bulletproof case with other pirate relics.

Not wanting to release this information to strangers, Nevah grinned.

"I'm just going to study this prism, it was something that was a part of my family's history I'd like to keep safe in a museum."

Gustavo didn't respond, but held his sides as though he had a stomach ache. 

Mary Anne pulled Gustavo aside once Nevah left the building and took him to the corner for privacy

Mary Anne pulled Gustavo aside once Nevah left the building and took him to the corner for privacy. She asked him what he was trying to do, as this wasn't a time for tug-a-war. The two did their job yet she knew this confrontation would look bad once Sanders came by and saw them arguing.

Taking him by the shirt, she lost her temper.

"What were you doing back there, Arabulla? Look, he was my ex. You can't tell me who to befriend or not. If I want him back in my life, it's my choice. Capeech! And for your information, I thought you broke up with me. Looks like your love of money is my competition."

Gustavo was petrified by her comments as he did not expect this to happen. He tried to calm her down by putting his hands over her shoulders, but she pushed him.

"Don't touch me! I'm not in the mood!" With a pout on her face, she crossed her arms.

Hearing some commotion nearby, Sanders intruded.

"Is there a problem here, Haskins?"

Mary Anne didn't want her boss to interfere with her personal business, so she waved it off.

"No boss, Gus and I were just trying to have a normal conversation. I'm sorry if I raised my voice."

"Good, were you able to give the prism to Everett? I know he came in earlier, but I was busy in my office."

After reassuring Sanders that everything was taken care of, the boss handed his employees their paychecks that he could have ripped apart if there was mischief involved.