She's Back

"Curiosity killed the cat". - Ben Johnson

Dusting her skirt off from the debris she encountered during her brief trip, Tabitha reappeared before her friends as they entered the apartment's lobby

Placing her hands up in the air and opening her mouth to yawn as if nothing enchanting had happened, Tabitha walked straight up to greet Astrid and the boys.

"Hi, gang! Did anything happen while I was gone? Did you find out where Piper went?"

Still, in awe, all three had their mouths wide open.

"How ... How did you do that? Appear out of nowhere? You ... "

Tabitha walked right up to the owner of that voice and covered his mouth. She whispered in his ear as to why she did that to him.

"Be quiet now James, if you know what's best for you. We are in public. You'll let my secret out if you speak any louder. This is just between us - the quad. You do know the saying "All for one and one for all" right? Well, what if I change my mind and tell you to leave, so Astrid, Hansel, and I will just become the 'Three Musketeers" who'll finish this mystery. Would you want that?"

The blonde shook his head as he let out a sigh. And he thought he did worse in pranking everyone in the class, but now he had met his match.

"Very well, let's just say I was able to elude Mr. Roper. He's a very nice man." She added the phrase "Just not smart enough" under her breath, but it was only intended for her to hear. Or so Tabitha thought.

"Eek! Shoo, pussy cat! Go away! You don't belong here

"Eek! Shoo, pussy cat! Go away! You don't belong here."

The sounds of one of the apartment's tenants distracted Tabitha. As she turned her attention to this altercation, she noticed a familiar furball watching her. The woman was motioning her hands toward the door, but the cat just sat still watching the paranoia play out.

Nice of you to join in Lenore. You're probably enjoying this show.

The old witch was following her, despite the fact that Lenore nearly scared the daylights of a passerby. The cat's black fur was spooky enough for  anyone who believed in superstitions.

Tabitha believed that since Lenore didn't know how to mind her own business, the cat would be the first to tell the Witches of Warwick how she abused her powers.

A tattletale!

Tabitha also had the inkling that even though Lenore watched her in school, the cat knew she broke into her teacher's apartment without permission. But it was for a good reason, Tabitha couldn't bear to see her teacher crying when she approached her a while ago. And she wanted to find out if this evil aura was the same one the Witches of Warwick wanted her to chase after. Tabitha had good reasons why this was done, so no kitty kat should stand in her way.

But this time Lenore had something in her mouth. Fabric that looked like it came from a handkerchief.

★★★★★★★★★★

"I'm sorry she alarmed you, Miss. She's my cat, come to mama, Lenore."

Tabitha tried to think of a way to save her friend, and telling a white lie was all she could think of.

"Well, little girl can't you read that sign?" The lady pointed to the bulletin board that was hanging on the side of the entrance. "It says no pets allowed! How did that - thing - even come in here?"

The brunette  stared at Tabitha with a stern look, a similar feature Mr. Roper gave her a while ago. Thus, Tabitha had a feeling that the people living here were as strict as a cranky doorknob.

Just the expression alone of a cold disheartened gaze gave Tabitha the chills. But she knew they all needed help and she was proud to be the designated person to handle it. That is if she could prevail.