The Dolls Aren't Alright

"Stop treating your pain like it's something you imagined. If you see the wound is real, then you can heal it."
- Leigh Bardugo, Crooked Kingdom

While Nolan tried to move out of the small wreckage consisting of books, the now cracked camera and other knick-knacks, he was lucky to come out alive

While Nolan tried to move out of the small wreckage consisting of books, the now cracked camera and other knick-knacks, he was lucky to come out alive. His arm was bruised, which felt like a squeezing sensation that could be compared to jaw pain, but he endured the soreness.

The doctor laid on the floor, acknowledging the damage that just took place. At least it was just a bookcase that fell down as it was not connected to the wall for support. Papers on his desk were scattered everywhere, but nothing broke.

It wasn't uncommon for earthquakes to occur without any notice, but it startled Nolan for he was not accustomed to them.

He quickly looked for his camera that must have fallen in the rummage as well, since it was no longer tacked on the wall. He tried to move his arm to reach for the apparatus but moaned in pain as it ached.

Just then his office door sounded as it opened. Nolan hoped that whoever would walk inside was someone that wouldn't annoy him, but no matter who it was, he needed help right away.

 Nolan hoped that whoever would walk inside was someone that wouldn't annoy him, but no matter who it was, he needed help right away

Noticing the fallen bookcase on the floor, David walked right into the office. He looked for the person who moaned under the desk to see if he could offer any help.

"Hello, Is anyone here? It's Doctor Hayden."

Seeing his colleague's face made Nolan smile. He didn't mind seeing David right now, because he needed help standing up as his knees didn't budge.

Yet, he knew Dr. Hayden must have been thinking Joanne was up here instead.

Nolan managed to raise his hand, despite his thoughts.

"David, over here. Thank heavens you came. Please help me stand up. And I  hope you don't mind me asking, but why did you come up here?"

Doctor Hayden approached his coworker and helped Nolan stand up.

"You alright? I heard a sudden thud downstairs, during the earthquake, so I wanted to find out what was going on."

Both men looked at each other as David noticed Nolan's bruised arm.

"Nolan, we need to get you to the hospital, that bruise looks severe. Might be minor, but let the pros have a look at it."

Dr. Everett nodded as he believed that the pain would simply go away on its own.

"No David, I don't need a doc. If I can just get up and ... Ouch!"

Nolan touched his left elbow that he hated to admit needed to be seen by the infirmary.

Raising his tone, David demanded that he be seen by a medical doctor. Dr. Hayden had a caring heart even though he had hoped that he would have played a hero if this were Joanne instead.

"Everett, don't be such a baby! That bruised arm needs to be examined."

He teased his associate even further, for David knew how stubborn Nolan can get.

"A band-aid is not even going to even heal that thing!"

Irritated with David's child-like comment, Nolan facepalmed.

"Fine Hayden! I'll go to the ER if you can drive me there. Then, I'll prove to you that my injury is not a major one. Heaven forbid, if Christy ever finds out about this, I'll never hear the end of it!"

Nolan's wife was a hysterical woman when it came to a family crisis. When her sister was getting a minor surgery on her toes - removal of a bunion -  Christy put all things aside and visited Rhonda in Florida. And once his wife returned to work, the surgery was the major news among the psychologists and staff. It drove him nuts!

"I promise that I'll never tell her Everett."

David smirked as he mentioned this, but, in truth, he knew David was telling a lie.

"And since we are now calling each other on the last name basis Hayden, would you mind helping me clean this mess?"

David nodded not noticing that he put aside the camera that had negatives of Piper's spirit.