Point of No Return

"In everybody's life, there's a point of no return. And in a very few cases, a point where you can't go forward anymore. And when we reach that point, all we can do is quietly accept the fact. That's how we survive."
― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

"― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

Janneth's eyes widened. She knew there was something special about Tabitha, but couldn't put a finger on it until now.

"I have to admit that there was something about you as you weren't the normal student that the principal would register in my class. You are a brilliant student, compared to the rest of your classmates."

"About that, um, Miss Hudson I cheated. I used my spells to finish it instead of using my brain."

Tabitha released that guilt she held inside, because she knew it was. wrong. It was unfair to the rest of the students and she felt responsible for cheating on the quizzes instead of learning from the boring lectures.   

Janneth remained silent for a minute. She didn't know what to say to a witch who just came to her class a month ago, posing as her student.

"So, you are a witch? No offense, but it explains a lot since when I met your parents on Student/Teacher night, I found them to be quite an odd couple."

Tabitha chuckled at that comment. Mr. and Mrs. Whittle were quite the pair. 

Emiril Whittle was a short, nearly bald man, while his wife, Belladonna, was tall and slender. Yet they were the loving parents Tabitha ever needed after she was abandoned  long ago.

Returning to the present, she answered Janneth's questions.

"Yes, I'm a witch. Well, one in training to be precise, Miss Hudson. I need to show the Witches Council that I can give it my all, so I can earn my wings, my full badge of honor!"

Tabitha smiled gleefully as she proudly stated this for she wanted to show those adult witches that they can't just use her as a puppet.

Yet, it saddened Janneth as she was not in good terms for this is not what she expected from the girl. With a stern face and her arms crossed, Janneth was quite concerned about her former student, but also knew she would be penalized if she didn't return to her students.

"I'm sorry Tabitha, but I have to get  back to class soon. Can you please make this snappy?"

And that's when the secret was blurted out.

"Piper's took over the old Wax Museum on Sleepy Hollow Lane! And she has embodied dummies of all the missing townspeople  I've seen on the newspaper. And there might be even more!"

With tears running down her cheeks, she couldn't bear the burning sensation that lingered in her stomach anymore. Placing a finger upon her eyebrow, she tried to wipe it. Tabitha whimpered, 

"And she kept Astrid, James and Hansel with her and locked me out!".

Janneth didn't know what to do at the moment. Frightened that if she left Tabitha all alone with the Nurse, rumors about a witch hanging around the school might begin. On the other hand, if she stayed longer with Tabitha, her job might be jeopardized.   The blabbermouths of Ms. Perkins' class were situated next door and would automatically know of her absence if that class got a glimpse of Mr. Romero.

With that Janneth had a plan. 

"Tabitha, please don't mention what you said to me to Nurse Reynolds. Let her examine you, but please be on your best behavior. If you do any little crazy movement, who knows what will happen as we don't want to make this school a laughing stock. Meet me after class and we can discuss more about Piper and her gimmicks. We need to release those poor people and your friends. But I can't discuss it here, it's too risky."

The little witch nodded, hoping that all things will go well.