The Experiment (America POV)

It was a murky and gray day. The sunlight was struggling to poke through the thick blanket of clouds covering it and chills from the north had rolled in which meant it was coat and hoodie season. The crunch of frosted grass underfoot echoed through the silent clearing as we made our way to the Coloso. We met up with all the other second-years.

"I thought it was just going to be our class... have we made a mistake?" Poland whispered to Germany.

I took a seat on the smooth marble top of the Colosseum walls, a dangerous spot, but it stopped everyone from gathering around me like usual and balance was no problem for me. Everyone had pretty much settled down by the time NATO stepped onto the platform.

He raised his arms, commanding for silence, then began, "Last class, we discussed the topic of famous Awakeners. Am I correct?"

We nodded and he continued his lecture, "If that is the case, then I think you will be able to easily answer this question: Who is the current bigshot and why is this individual recognized by the world?"

I felt a small smile creep onto my face but no one saw since I was laying  on my back, facing the sky. Oohs and ahs echoed throughout the structure as the students practically jumped for a chance to answer.

"It's America isn't it?"

"Yeah! And he is recognized because he has a crazy strong Awakening!"

"He was ranked number one on his first try!"

"He's in a lot of movies and commercials too!"

People began to call out their answers, hand-raising was completely forgotten and a vein in  Mr. NATO's temple started to throb. It was a sure sign that his almost-non-existent patience was almost up.

"Germany... would you like to give us an answer?"

Of course he would turn to Ger.

"America is the one of the newest Awakeners to make history. Yes, many of your other points are correct. But ultimately, he is recognized as the youngest Awakener to ever be recorded. The average age of Awakening is 17, but America awakened at the age of 13. Early Awakeners, also known as Primo Awakeners, are extremely rare and are usually the most powerful. One may notice that Famous Awakeners are very likely to also be Primo Awakeners. America is no exception."

A slow round of applause started after Germany had finished. He was a human encyclopedia and no one could say otherwise. I got to my feet and sprang off, using the wall as a diving board, flipped through the air and did my favorite hero landing right next to Mr. NATO.

"Dude, you're awesome. Really know your stuff." I praised, "But Primo Awakeners are not as happy as you'd think. 99.9% of the time, they are triggered through some sort of extreme pain. Mental or physical... or both. Personally, I discovered mine during the War of Independence with old Teabag. To be specific, just after he stabbed me with a bayonet."

Memories of that day began to flood back into my head, "I think I almost gave him a heart attack when I started glowing. The expression on his face was priceless."

"The point is," NATO interjected before I could ramble on, "we will be continuing with our Awakening session. But like a Primo Awakener, we will be using... a trigger to speed up the process."

People turned to one another, with curiosity and fear.

"Wait... a trigger?"  Canada inquired, "It won't be painful... right?"