Falling Apart But Holding Together

(America POV)

Amidst my raging hysteria, I could hear a muffled call as it began to part through the turmoil. It was coming closer, getting louder and clearer but I still couldn't understand a word. I was too lost in the uproar in my head.

Suddenly something fell against my back and I looked, startled as I finally remembered there was someone with me. Russia was slumped over me with his arms slung over my shoulders to keep his fading body upright. His figure was cracking and falling away as he stared at me with anguish glimmering in his eyes. There were no words exchanged but his thoughts were clear.

My breath caught in my chest as dread replaced the drunken stupor I was trapped in and slowly but surely, I began to see my surroundings once more.

What have I done?

"STOP, STOP THIS NOW!" I screamed to myself as I desperately tried to deactivate but the fire paid me no mind. It was as if they were mocking me, crackling and laughing as all concepts of control were yanked from my grasp. I struggled as they continued to ravage everything in sight.

Russia began to slip and I quickly caught him, slowly lowering to my knees.

His breath was shallow as the light in his eyes began to fade along with the rest of his body. Almost half of him had split into pieces at this point and all I could do was sit there and watch.

I should be happy. The last, lingering trace of Soviet's legacy was dying right in front of me which meant I was going to pull off the promise I made to myself!

.

.

.

So why do my tears continue to fall?

"Hey Russia? Russia, stay with me now!" I quivered as I cradled him gingerly but he continued to slip away. I was losing him with every passing second and I was the reason. I was killing him.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

"I never thought I'd see the day," he whispered, "A tearstained face does not suit you."

I stared into his eyes. The same ice grey eyes that had stirred so much anger in me before but now... I wasn't quite sure what I was feeling. All I knew was that it hurt.

My body began to shake from the uncontrollable sobs that heaved from my chest. It had been a long time since I had felt such dread but it stabbed me over and over.

Russia finally lost consciousness as I held him close to my chest. I couldn't bear to look as a furious howl erupted from the depths of my hell.

"Why do you grieve for him? What exactly is he to you?"

The blank canvas I once stood upon was stained red by the blood from the boy I had killed. He lay upon my lap as all his colors swirled around me. A storm of icy winds but instead of cold, it felt hot. Burning.