Breaking the Silent Night

Britain let out a shaky sigh as he flipped through his old diary. The sun's dying glow outlined his form but cast a dark shadow over his face as his old, weary eyes skimmed over the words. Perhaps he had been too bold, asking someone he had only recently met to look out for America but something told him that Russia was the person who had the best chance at getting through to him.

'It should have been me,' he thought to himself as he shook his head in frustration. There were times where he would lament for a better relationship between him and his son. In truth, that was what he wanted most in life but that was exactly the reason he stayed so distant from the young man who had fought so hard for independence.

Their bond would probably never heal completely. The grudges and misplaced hatred would probably linger forever. But that's just what he had to live with because what's done is done.

Suddenly, a serene calm swept over him, allowing his knotted expression to relax.

"Please dear. Stop frowning or you'll wrinkle even more," France sighed as her bewitching magenta eyes faded back to their normal hazel colour, "You've been up here for quite a long time. I was starting to worry so I came up here to check on you."

The man stood up and brushed the creases off his collared shirt, "Darling, I thought I told you not to use your Awakening on me," he gently chided her.

"But you looked so tense! I couldn't help myself."

"Thanks, but still."

The couple cleaned up the table and headed back downstairs, hand in hand but Britain still had one last question to get off his mind.

"France? Why did you agree to marry me even though you knew our families could never support our marriage?"

"What are you trying to say, mon chéri? You know those were the grudges of our forefathers so why would I refuse my love because of that?"

He looked at his beautiful wife with eyes filled with foggy uncertainty but decided to disregard his surfacing doubts.

"I was foolish to be worried. Please, disregard my irrational behaviour."

"Darn right you were!" the woman clucked, "What's done is done but know that I love you with all my heart."

As they entered the living room where the guests were being entertained, they noticed that America and Russia were missing.

"Where are those two?" the British man asked as a lump formed in his throat without him knowing why.

"I heard them talking about a walk on the nearby trail. Why?"

"It's getting rather late innit?" he scowled but shook his head, "Nevermind. My nerves seem to be a mess today."

With a wave of dismissal, he turned to leave. After all, it was just a nice walk in a very nice park. Nothing would happen to them. Right? And that was the exact moment a tremor hit the house along with the unmistakable sound of an explosion in the distance.

...

(RUSSIA POV)

Thunderous snaps of crackling bark echoed as trees froze and splintered in half. The area was starting to look more and more disastrous as I sent another deathly cold wave towards the other country who did little more than dodge and defend.