Reaching the End of a Star

(America POV)

"And that leaves us with one last shot," I grinned as I lined up the final Sunbomb.

Every cell in my hand was overflowing with power, struggling against my restraints and it took every bit of concentration just to maintain the Partial Awakening.

"Hold it just a bit longer," I urged myself as the Sunbomb began to compress. Smaller and smaller, denser and heavier. My arm shook from exhaustion and pain.

"Steady," Canada chided as beads of sweat rolled down his face.

The target was in our sights. Everything around him began to dim and fade away as we prepared to fire.

"This is the end."

...

A young boy gazed upon the desolate snowy landscape of Siberia. His fragile form and plain t-shirt couldn't have been more out of place but there he was.

A man watched the boy from a distance as he sorted out his thoughts. Even if he didn't look it, that child was his biggest threat.

Finally, he was done sightseeing and walked back to the man's side. His rosy cheeks and smiling lips did not match the worry in his eyes as the man retrieved a small black key for the heavy cuffs that restrained him.

"Are you sure it'll be alright?" America whispered as the cuffs unlocked with a soft 'kerthump'. The man stared back, his gaze filled with unspoken promises.

"I'm sure. Because I'll be here to stop you."

That promise is a paradox that still haunts him to this day.

...
A flash of pain split through my head and I lost my focus. It was only for a second but it was already too late. The flames slipped out of my grasp and the Sunbomb was fired in a frenzy of blazing lights.

I collapsed back into Canada from the recoil and stared in horror as the Sunbomb flew in a lazy arc overhead. It sizzled and sparked through the air, more like a flimsy firework than anything else.

It didn't even make it back to the ground.

"Well I fucked up..."

In addition to failing miserably, the pretty little firework had also caught the attention of nearly all of the iron zombies who didn't waste any time.

"Oh crud," Canada muttered to himself as he scrambled to his feet. I, however, was not as clean as my brother.

"SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT," I shrieked as one of the zombies snatched my arm. It's repulsive face twisted into somewhat of a smirk as if it was taunting me. A giant chunk of ice smashed into it from the side, leaving only a detached hand on my arm.