Disarray on the Final Day

(Germany POV)

A round of hoots and hollers swept through the amphitheater as students settled down in their seats. AU stood on the balcony with Nurse WHO at her side, scanning through the crowd as we prepared to finish the last trials before she would make her verdict.

"Who do you think will go today?" Poland asked as he nibbled away at his lunch, "against America, I mean."

I shook my head and continued to stare beneath the arches where America was probably waiting. Like the early morning star, slowly climbing over the horizon but it was probably going to be a cloudy day...

"This place is crowded."

A voice snapped me back to reality and I looked back to see none other than Russia, leading another student towards us.

"Hey Russia."

"Hey. Can we sit here?" The girl that followed him looked familiar but she turned away before we could make eye contact. Poland skootched out of the way to make space and to get away from the country towering above us.

"Hello there," I called to the new country, wondering if she would respond. She nodded hello but still remained at a cautious distance from us. Finally, AU stepped up to the balcony rails and announced the start of the first match. Oddly, she didn't announce who would be challenging Ame. All eyes were glued to the stage, waiting for the two contestants to appear but nothing was happening.

"Yo."

From the sky like a bolt of fire, America suddenly appeared behind me and the next thing I knew, I was pulled out of my seat and hauled down into the center of the arena. I looked around, bewildered, and I could see Poland, Russia and Afghanistan jumping to their feet, alarmed.

"What the- what's happening? What's going on?!" The audience began to cheer.

"Oh come on, brainiac," America smirked, "It's your turn to give me a shot."

We stared at each other for a bit longer and he frowned.

"Duh."

I turned my gaze up to the balcony where AU was standing, hoping she was just as confused as me. Instead, she gave me two thumbs up and a nice, unhelpful smile.

Great. Just great. I was planning to have a nice grilled sandwich for lunch, not become the grilled sandwich. Actually scratch that. Forget being a sandwich, I'll become a pile of ash by the end of this.