No Turning Back

"Germany, would you and Poland be interested in joining us for the Tournament?"

(NOBODY POV)

The hallways were quiet and still in the evening as the draining sunlight poured through the high arching stained glass windows. Even though it was well past the last chime of the school day, two students stepped out of the infirmary to bring their findings back to the Headmaster's quarters.

"Well glad that worked out! Now we're one step closer to an actual team!" America grinned they closed the door behind them but before they got too far, Poland darted out of the door and called for them to wait a brief moment. They turned as he made his way over.

"What's the matter?" America asked as he pushed his sunglasses up. Poland sighed deeply before turning to stare him right in the eyes.

"I'm extremely honored that we were selected as candidates. Germany was... over the moon about it and now he sleeps soundly..."

Russia's eyes narrowed when Poland's posture drooped and his gaze wavered as he continued, "But I'm going to have to refuse this position. I'm sorry."

...

The deafening silence that followed was suffocating to Poland but he had already made up his mind. It took a full 30 seconds for Ame to pick his jaw off the floor and utter any coherent sounds. Despite the American's protests and the Russian's judgmental stare, he wasn't going to budge.

"What do you mean you refuse- why- IT'S THE TOURNAMENT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" Ame exclaimed with increasing disbelief as he couldn't seem to understand why in the world he would put down the offer of a lifetime. Before he could finish, the Polish boy slipped back inside and shut the door, closing off the conversation right in his face. Ame really did not like that and a thin stream of smoke poured from his smoldering eyes.

"Why that little-," he growled as he strode forward to rip the door open but Russia grabbed him and hauled him back before he could cause any property damage.

"That's enough. If he doesn't want to participate, he must have a compelling reason. Even if he doesn't, we need to respect that," Russia reminded but his expression warned him to step down begrudgingly. He was somewhat disappointed too.

After one last heated glare at the door, America yanked his arm out of Russia's grasp and stormed away as he muttered, "I think he's just a coward."

Poland slumped against the door as he listened to their receding footsteps echo farther and farther away until all became silent again. Only then did he let himself break down as he hugged his knees to his chest to calm himself. He had a good reason, at least he believed he did but America was also right. He was a coward.

"Oh don't give me that," he growled as he clenched his teeth in hopeless anger, "Don't pretend I'm stupid! It's obvious the only reason I was offered a place is because Germany is my friend!"

This realization rang in his ears and it made his stomach churn and his throat tighten. If he had taken the offer, if he was willing to step upon the stage where he could barely stand, what then? After all, the games may have changed to incorporate teamwork but at the end of the day, it was still every country for themselves. He surely won't stand a chance!

"But what about Germany?"

Would he really be alright? Part of him was being wrung with the guilt of leaving Germany on his own but he just didn't have the guts to break it to him. But then again, Germany had proved himself to be fully capable on his own time and time again. Poland simply didn't want to admit it, to feel unneeded. It made him incredibly distraught.