Divided, We Fall

[You have entered the Underground Labyrinth.]

[Your objective will be assigned in 1 minute.]

[Time remaining: 10 m 48 s]

(NOBODY POV)

China's breaths appeared in silvery puffs as he trudged on, half-blinded by the darkness. His legs shook from the cold and his sweat froze against his skin. Oh, how his arms hurt with every step, but he couldn't give up now. He could already see the Russian's signature frost creeping across the floor, which was a promising sign that they were close by.

A weak heartbeat pulsed against his shoulder, reminding him to pick up the painfully slow pace. The crimson country barely registered the warmth of the other's blood soaking through his clothes as he focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

'Don't trip, don't fall,' he silently repeated to himself, willing his body to go on. Perhaps if he kept lying to himself that there was still hope, he would be able to escape at least.

"We're almost there. It's just a little further ahead," he whispered, but it wasn't clear if it was to reassure himself or the semi-conscious body that he was carrying.

The Master of Events made no sign that he heard him, or if he was even awake. Olympia had been silent for a long time now. His colorful rings drooped ever lower as his strength slowly waned with every passing second.

China stopped for a moment to readjust his grip to make sure the other didn't slide off, noting how silent the world had suddenly become. He never realized how much he hated silence.

"Just a little farther... just a little better... never settle for anything less..."

As unsightly as it was, China allowed himself to whine at fate like a bratty child, knowing that no one was here to witness it anyway.

"How does it always end up like this?!"

The boy's eyelids fluttered open to a splendor of iridescent feathers descending from gilded clouds. Distant bells seemed to echo in an ethereal choir as the light shone down upon him, signaling the start of an audience with the divine. He barely had time to get on his knees.

The deity smiled down at him- a kind but cold smile that seemed to pity all those who stood beneath the sky.

"You have sought for me long enough, little one." It spoke with a mouth that twisted wide with serrated rows of teeth one moment and morphed into a gleaming silver beak the next.

China couldn't take his eyes away from the inconceivable sight that was being presented to him. Was this what a true god looked like?

Even though it had been over a century since he began this pilgrimage, this moment made it all seem so small. It had been a path full of misdirection, disappointments, and suffering, but he was here, basking under this god's presence. Every second was a reward for his endeavors and he refused to waste any of it.

His chest ballooned as he drew in a deep breath before he yelled his introduction towards the sky.

He had come with a request; an extremely important one that would perhaps change his life forever, but he did not say it directly. Frankly, he didn't have to. This god had heard it once before when he accompanied him through the mountains.