Back to Where We Came From

It was another gloomy day. Storm clouds hung heavily in the sky as a warning of the upcoming storm.

America's boots were waterlogged and made a funny squelch as he exited the metal craft that had brought him to the hellish shore. The beach was soaked with the blood of many soldiers and the dead littered the ground as far as the eye can see. Planks, rods and barricades set by enemy forces stuck out of the sand. This was a battlefield.

With a gun in hand, America clambered over the muddied hills that separated the shore from the rest of the land, devoid of any signs of people. A small veil of fog made it hard to see what was in front of him but America slowly advanced without any second thoughts.

The further he walked, the thicker the fog was and it made it harder to navigate. He began to pick up the soft moans of dying people but he paid them little mind.

"Wait..."

He swiveled around and focused on his left. Faint thumps of footsteps gradually got closer and America quickly readied his gun.

It wasn't one of his people.

In other words, shoot em' down.

A strangled gurgle and an unmistakable thump told him that the coast was clear now. He let out a sigh of relief and continued forward, ignoring his trembling body.

At this point, the cloud was so dense that it looked solid. Tinges of crimson colored his vision and the sickening smell of iron flooded his senses. The illusions and sounds only got worse as he journeyed further, forcing him to relive some of his darkest moments. Unwilling to be held in the hellscape, he burst into a sprint. He didn't know where he was heading but frankly, he didn't care. All he needed to do was survive.

(America POV)

I jolted up with a start and slammed my head into something. Stars danced in my vision as I cradled my spinning head, cursing through all of it.

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

NATO was crouched at the foot of my bed, writhing in pain as he held his head.

So that was what I had hit.

After both receiving ice packs and calming down a bit, I started to notice my new situation. I was breathing heavily and my pulse was rushing. Sweat beaded my face and I felt like throwing up but what alarmed me the most was my surroundings.

"NATO? Why am I back here?"

I was held in the middle of a giant, circular, windowless room that had been made exclusively for me. It's barren white walls and floor encased me and the bed I was strapped to and it was one that I was familiar with.

"You started freaking out after the tranquilizer dart started to wear off. Not to mention your thrashing and screaming." NATO answered grimly, "Honestly, that was quite a fever dream you were having. You almost killed someone on the way back."

"I-"

Slowly, I began to reflect on what I could remember, carefully separating the past from present and illusions from reality. Then it all came together and I lurched against the restraints.