The Final Call: TWO

(POLAND POV)

After making sure Germany was going to be alright, I raced right back to the battlefield, just in case they needed my help but as I got closer, the air began to get unbearably heavy and my vision began to spark and blur. Every hair on my body perked up and I immediately knew what was coming.

"Lightning!" I gasped as I zipped out of the dangerously electric air. Mere moments later, terrifying flashes of incomprehensible power roared down, seemingly out of nowhere. My heart rattled in my ears as I steadied my breathing, struggling to stay in the air as my body shook.

Where did that come from?!

After waiting for my nerves to settle, I cautiously glided down to survey the scene, where things seemed to have settled down.

The sun peeked out through the rising clouds of smog and restless layers of dust. With one powerful flap, the grime dispersed to either side and I landed onto the ground.

The air was still again and silence finally returned after a night of strife. The enemy had disappeared but I couldn't tell if we had won or not. Everyone looked so grim and no one said a word.

"So what are we going to do about him?"

I shot into the air as a voice and person materialized right next to me. I hadn't even registered their presence, like they were a ghost or something. A glimmer in the breeze.

He pointed to El Salvador, who hadn't moved for a while, and said, "He's dying."

America gazed down at the worn down metallic prison as the light within the country's eyes began to dim. Five glanced up at the Headmaster and with a nod of approval, he slid down the side of the crater and knelt down next to El Salvador. America stepped back to give them some space.

"Well?" UN asked, "Do you think you could do a soul transfer?"

Five stared down in silence before concluding, "It's possible, now that the original binds have been so worn down. However, it will still be only temporary. There is no way a soul without a physical body can last very long."

"So what should we do?" WHO muttered to herself, "Should we resur-"

"I think that decision belongs to him," UN interrupted, shooting his younger sister a warning glare, clearly shutting down whatever she was suggesting. Everyone's attention turned to El Salvador once more.

He slowly tilted his head as the creaking sounds of snapping metal frames clawed our ears. His gaze finally settled on the sky above.

"D- do... you know... what is it-t like in my... country right n-now? How are... my people?"

Five grimaced, "I'm afraid it's not doing very well. After you seemingly 'died', everything fell into anarchy. Natural disasters, disease, poverty, crime, everything went wrong."

"And it won't be restored until a countryhuman takes control of that territory," UN sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, "After your... 'death', no new countryhuman appeared in your place so I sent FVEY to investigate. Turns out, it was because you were still somewhat present in this world, unable to continue on."

"So... I'm the reason... that my country is suffering..."

"No, I wouldn't say that now," Five laughed nervously, "It's just you were gone for too long. Now we are gonna..."

He trailed off as he looked around, "What were we gonna do again?"

El Salvador continued to stare at the sky, already reconciled with the fact that his time was over. It was obvious that even if he kept living for just a while longer, it wouldn't be helpful to anyone. It was time to pass the torch forward.