Evening Interlude

(JAPAN POV)

Canada led Germany and Poland around to the pavilion, a little ways away from the barren training grounds I had carved out for myself, and glanced back with a nervous smile. "Are you sure about this? Don't rush yourself now."

I gave him a confident smile and thumbs up before unsheathing my wooden training sword. The two newcomers leaned forward ever so slightly with anticipation as I prepared to demonstrate the fruits of my labor. After all, I hadn't just been sitting around this whole time.

"Will she be alright? Chrysanthemum isn't here with his mirror to stop her," Germany noted but Canada shook his head. "It'll be fine. She's got it under control now, I think."

A nervous grin spread over their faces as I took a deep breath and steeled my grip, feeling the flow of power surge into the wood, turning it rotten black before our eyes. Mist shrouded my eyes as ghostly cloth billowed at my side and the sound of a breathless flute wailing by my ear.

"Izanami?" I called out.

My eyes went black as the goddess responded, appearing within my mind as a ragged woman with bleached, bony limbs, masked by a trailing, translucent black veil that swam with macabre faces of the damned. Her cherry-red lips parted into a pointed sneer as she sat down next to me. 'Oh great, it's this brat again,' was clearly etched on her porcelain doll-like face.

"I supposed you aren't inviting me out this time either," she rasped, her voice as unpleasant as the sound of a thousand clattering bones. She had given up on the honey-dipped facade, the "I'm a motherfrickin goddess" facade, the "pitiful wretch" facade, and was no longer shy to show her true, morbid colors. I smiled sheepishly as I brushed her slimy black strands of hair off my shoulders.

"Nope, I'm just showing my friends our progress. I don't want to scare them like that again so stay in the stick okay?"

"Pfft, what a strange child you are. So I'm an object of show-and-tell now?"

I brandished the blackened training sword and slashed, carving another rift into the ground. Canada tossed a block of scrap metal into the air and with a few swift strokes, it was reduced into scattered rusted dust.

"Woah, that was obliterated in a blink of an eye!" Poland breathed in awe. "With a wooden sword no less..."

"Remember what I told you," I reminded the grumbling goddess as Canada proceeded to throw a bushel of leaves into the fray.

"Well, those plants are uprooted and fated to rot away anyway-" a sharp glare cut her off and the stick that sliced through metal only managed to bat the leaves away, like how a normal wooden stick would.