Rubbing Salt in a Wound

(AU POV)

"Um, ma'am? Aren't you the famous fate-reader that people call the Matchmaker?" a young girl came up to me and asked as I took a lunchtime stroll through the open courtyard, "I was hoping to ask you to read my potential lover... to see if I have a chance... maybe."

I watched as the girl went from red, to pink, then to white, then back to red. Ah, it is always so adorable when people admit their deepest desires and it is half the reason I do what I do. Of course I couldn't say no so I took her to a more isolated place where she could spill whatever she was hiding.

"Alright, should I give you a few suggestions or do you have a specific person in mind?" I started as I whipped out a small notepad. She chose the latter option so I asked her to tell me about that crush.

"He has wonderful deep blue eyes- I think- and beautiful ivory hair. He walks with grace and his smile lights up the world. Not just his looks but he's kind, funny, smart- I think- and he's super-"

"Oh," I politely eased her out of her depictions, "Does he have a name?" But at this point, I had a pretty good idea who she was talking about.

"Oh, it's... it's America... y'know, the extremely famous star?"

"Ah yes! I know who you're talking about," I nodded as I forced a smile. Honestly, I didn't need to read her to tell that she didn't know anything about him besides the fact that he was rich and famous. Of course, this human girl had been raised on Aliaterra all her life, so it was no wonder that she didn't know that America was a country personified. He was just as normal as she was. Minus the flashy fire and all that but still.

There was a strict rule that kept humans from dating countries but even if their weren't... I don't think she would stand a chance if she knew what her 'knight in shining armor' was really like.

So I put on the usual routine, closed my eyes for a few moments, wondered what I was going to have for dinner, opened my eyes and gave her the news.

"Oh dear... I don't see much of a potential between you and America, that is often the case with people riddled with fame."

"Oh! Oh no!" she gasped, as if shocked to hear my verdict but honestly, anyone with half a brain could see this would never work. Unfortunately, people are a bit dumb when it comes to love and this was just the case.

"Then is there something I can do to win his affection?" she begged, almost desperate, "Please, I've never opened up like this before! That's how much I love him-"

"Tell me, what is his full name? What is his favorite pastime? Who are his parents? I'm sorry but this love you have, I can see it is insincere."

She took a few steps back before collapsing to the ground. Man, the melodrama. She reacted as if I had stabbed her in the chest, which I did figuratively but c'mon.

With a deep breath to calm myself, I activated my Awakening for real this time and gazed into the net that fate had woven for her. I picked out and followed the most prominent threads as they headed to... yes this would do. The pencil reacted to my findings and scribbled down a few names and I blinked to end my study.

"I know it's hard to hear what I have told you. I admit, I might have been a bit harsh but I think it is what you needed to hear," I acknowledged as I extended list of names to her, "Let's just say, if you truly want America to be happy, it is best if you forgot about him and moved on to find the one truly for you."