The Maiden and Her Bear (Canada POV)

Father always said pure love was a finicky thing. It is hard to find yet super obvious when you fall into it.

I was in love with a girl from the Academy. And something tells me it's mutual. It was my first time feeling so strongly about something. I would become a pile of sunshine and happiness when I was with her and a blob of depression when I wasn't. You could say I couldn't live without her.

Summer had been fairly pleasant but I just couldn't wait to go back to school to see her. Gosh, I can't concentrate. What was I doing again?

"YO NADA! STOP OR YOU'LL FREAKING DROWN US ALL IN THAT MAPLE SYRUP! WE'RE NOT PANCAKES YA KNOW!"

"Ah! Sorry Aussie," I sputtered as I tried to clean up the mess I made.

"Stop daydreaming mate. Dad said we need to hurry or we'll be late for the first day!"

I started to panic. I shovelled up my breakfast and grabbed my stuff and sped out the door, not bothering to tie my shoelaces. I slumped into the seat of the family limo, breathless from the hurry.

"Anxious to see a certain someone?" United Kingdom chuckled.
"DAAAAAAD," I complained. Aussie and Kiwi snickered.

We pulled up in front of the pristine courtyard of the Academy gates. I quickly exited our ride, checking my reflection in the rear view mirror on my way out. My uniform and hair was slightly messy. But I looked fine otherwise. I was met by some hellos here and there as I made my way towards the building I was going to spend the next few months of my life in.

"Canada? Is that you?"
I turned and immediately started to shake.
Ukraine was looking as beautiful as ever. Flowers crowned her head, leaving petals dancing behind her. She smiled and rushed over.

"U-u-kraine! H-hi uh... how's it goin'? I- I mean how's your summer! You don't have to tell me if you don't want to- OOF!"

Someone bumped into me from behind, which sent me sprawling into Ukraine.
"WHoopS," Aussie smiled sheepishly. I gave him my best, I'll kill you, sorry look.

I jolted up onto my feet and offered a hand to help her up. She smiled and accepted it. We stood there awkwardly, pink colouring both of our cheeks as we were put in the centre of attention. Someone even hooted and cheered.

"Way to go Nada," Ukraine teased, "I didn't know you missed me that much."

We laughed together and I realized just how much I did miss her. Time began to slow down as we gazed into each other's eyes. But the sweet moment didn't last long.

He glares at me, freezing my soul with his stare. I take a step back instinctively. His name is Russia. And he is one menacing country. First, there is his height. I'm a tall country myself. Very skinny too. But he is taller than me by a head! He isn't lanky like me though . He has a strong build. At least I think he does. I can't tell because of the oversized sweater he is wearing. Then there's his aura and personality. Cold. Colder than cold. Long story short, he always looks like he is thinking of the best way to rip you up. And me? I looked like I was about to piss myself!

Beads of sweat began to form and the uncontrollable shaking began. Ukraine was unaware of Russia.
"Nada? Are you feeling alright? You look so pale," Ukraine asked with worry etched all over her face. Russia's scowl deepened.

Now we were 100 percent in the centre of attention. All eyes were on us and the entire courtyard had gone so silent that everyone could have probably heard my pounding heartbeat. The pressure was about to kill me so I choked up an excuse.

"Uhhhhhhh... I think Kiwi just texted me... um gotta go or else we'll get in trouble- ya know? Haha," I stuttered weakly.

"Um. Ya! You're right. Silly me," Ukraine said with a forced smile. She turned and left without another word.

I wanted to kick myself.
'DAMMIT CANADA! That must be the worst excuse the world has ever beheld! The crowd came back to life and began to mumble among themselves. One person even came and gave me a reassuring pat on the back.

I headed into the Welcoming Hall after the drama had died down a bit. The 3 Powers; Headmaster United Nations, Professor European Union and Professor Association of Southeast Asian Nations, gave a brief welcome speech before dismissing us to our classes and our personal cabinets. Just to clarify, we don't do work on the first day. The day is to help settle us back into school schedules. Most people take the time to memorize times tables, find classrooms and try not to get hopelessly lost, and reconnect with people and chat about the summer. That was exactly what we did. Everything was going just fine until I decided to excuse myself to the bathroom.

I stumbled through the infinite number of corridors with my mind elsewhere. I was brought back to earth by a loud smash. My eyes widened in fear as I took in the horrific scene.

I had just walked into what looked like the end of a bloody dispute. And it was one that Russia had won.

"Oh, crud," I mumbled before dashing away to report it.

Author's Notes: Cabinets are like lockers. Except their lockers are the size of a wardrobe.
I want to get these boring-ass chapters out of the wayyyyyy.
Get me to the good parttttttts :(