xxiii

chapter xxiii: the devil itself

The Survey corps retreated and headed on to Calaneth District

The Survey corps retreated and headed on to Calaneth District. Levi managed to get Eren back from the Female Titan too.

Inside the walls, an old lady entered the room. Her hands holding buckets as she saw Eld's wife looking out the window with a forlorn expression. "He's coming home." The old lady said. " I know he will."

On the other side, Olou's father asked his wife." You think Olou will have time to come home?"

"It wouldn't hurt to make him dinner, just in case." His wife answered with a large smile.

By Calaneth district, everyone stationed and took a small break from whatever happened inside the forest. They all talked about from even the smallest details to the female titan, the hooks, and the large ice wall that killed titans.

The news about the titans being engulfed in blue fire spread rapidly too, and how (Name) saved almost everyone from death. "Yeah," One soldier said. "She appeared out of nowhere and killed the titan hoard."

"How old is she again? Is she really stronger than Captain Levi?" Another asked.

"I wouldn't know about that, really." The other soldier replied while packing out his water pouch. "Apparently, from what I heard.." He said and turned to the cart filled with bodies. "She's in one of those bags."

The two soldiers turned to the carts and saw almost all the officials standing around them. Captain Levi, his special squad sitting on the carts with little to no expressions, and Commander Erwin.

The Special ops squad sat there, staring blankly at whatever their eyes landed on. They've been like this ever since they hopped on their horses inside the forest.

Captain Levi and Commander Erwin fell silent and stared at the small pile of bodies on the ground. Soldiers were laying them down for a full body count. "So you knew?" Asked Gunther.

Erwin was about to provide him all the reasons why he didn't tell them when Levi cuts him off with a simple "yes. Yes, we did."

"Then why.." He asked. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Prior to her request to not tell anybody of her powers, we knew it was meant to be hidden--for now." Erwin started. "We did not want to cause panic or full dependency on (Name)'s powers. Once everyone knows of her abilities, soldiers will fully rely on her and forget all their training and reasoning on why they joined the Survey Corps."

The special ops squad refused to look at their commander, but they knew he had a point. "But (Name)'s--" Olou was cut off when Petra intervenes.

"I don't think she's dead." She said springing up from her seat and eyes the dead bodies in front of her. "She can't be dead right? She died like--two times and she's still alive!" Petra exclaimed. Her eyes wandered over to the bodies desperately, trying to look for (Name)'s body.