xxxi

chapter xxxi : to each his own

With the kidnapping of Eren Yaeger and Ymir, the scouts made their move

With the kidnapping of Eren Yaeger and Ymir, the scouts made their move. Hundreds of lives on the line to save two titan shifters. Mixed emotions ran through this crowd.

What exactly fueled their rescue? Bravery? Pride? Hope to gain a powerful tool? Friendship? Love? Despite the differences in their reasons, they all came together to risk their lives to save two teenagers.

None of them knew if they were all going back alive.

None of them knew (Name) was with them either.

Two green flares were shot before sundown, alerting the 5: (Name), Eren, Ymir, Bertholdt and Reiner of their expected company.

"Game?" Bertholdt asked nervously. "What do you mean?"

(Name) stayed quiet for a while, calculating how long the scouts are to arrive and if they have enough time to play her game. It didn't seem far off so sadly, "the game waits."

"(Name)!" Anger was very evident in Eren's tone. He didn't know what to feel right now. He felt betrayed. Lied to. Played. And toyed. The steam that slowly regenerates his limbs starts to emit bigger smoke, his emotions made his regenerative powers burst.

"What do you take us for?! Toys?! You can do all of this and chose to let people die?!"

She knew young Eren would be the toughest nut to crack. He'll never take the "it's supposed to happen" excuse since he has a strong sense of humanity — at least right now.

(Name) had no other excuse except for that, or to simply overpower Eren to dominate. If the former won't work, then the latter should.

"Yes," (Name) replied. "Why I didn't choose to save people? Because their deaths is what powers me."

Eren's eyes squinted in anger as (Name) continues.

"I needed them dead for me and my plans to move forward. I needed them dead for you all to fight."

Something snapped inside Eren after hearing those words. "My mother," he began. "Was my mother a pawn in your plans? Was her death needed for you to be here?!"

(Name) stayed silent. Reiner and Ymir couldn't bare to look at any of you. Bertholdt was on the verge of tears as he stares at his foot.

"Yes," (Name) replied. "In fact, she was the most powerful pawn—" She was cut off when they were engulfed in sharp, yellow lightning that took them all by surprise.

Bertholdt and Reiner managed to escape but Ymir fell unconscious and fell off the tree branch. She was caught by a titan and was about to be its meal when (Name) quickly picked herself up and commanded the titan to run away with Ymir and keep her safe.

Eren's titan form stood in front of her. Fumes of anger seeping out from his nose and his limbs were now complete.

"You can not win against me, Eren." (Name) announces and her wings protruded out her back, ripping through the clothes she wore. Before Eren had the chance to speak, his feet were frozen to the forest ground.