xiv

chapter xiv: erwin

A few hours later, everyone gathered at the courtyard where they were called upon to choose their regiments

A few hours later, everyone gathered at the courtyard where they were called upon to choose their regiments. Some sat on the grass, leaned on the brick walls and some held small conversations to ease the big decision they are to make in a few minutes.

"Cadets!" Called one leader. "Fall in! Face the platform."

With the order, everyone walked toward the front. Some clenched their fists, some sighed and some looked tired.

Connie looked around as the cadets fall in lines. "Oi," he called Sasha.

Sasha turned to him. "Do you know where (Name)? is?" He asked.

Sasha turned to look and shook her head. A curious gaze fell on her face, "she's not here.."

"Wasn't she wearing the Scout's cape a while ago?" Jean intervenes upon hearing the conversation. Connie and Sasha turned to him and nodded, "then maybe she's with the scouts." He answered and rolled his eyes.

Marco, who stood next to him, could only chuckle at his expression.

When everyone gathered and the sun was down, the ceremony began. The tension was heavy as they all listened and turned their attention to the Commander up front. Everyone fell silent, for respect to the man.

"I am Commander Erwin Smith of the Scout Regiment." He began. "Today, you choose a regiment to join. To put it bluntly, this us my invitation for you to join the Scouts." All eyes locked to him as they listened to his very words.

The crowd held various emotions. Some were on the verge of tears, some were stern, some looked carefree and some looked decided.

"I am sure that, after this recent titan attack, you've already come to know their horror, as well as the limits of your own abilities." Erwin took a quick deep breath. "However! Through this battle, humanity has gained an unprecedented advance towards victory." Erwin took a pause, readint he faces in the crowd.

"I'm talking about Eren Jaeger. He has proven, by risking life and limb, that he is unquestionably on our side."

Continuing on with his speech, he delivered his plan about reaching Jaeger's basement on the ruined district of Shiganshina.

Hearing the news made the crowd chatter with questions. "Basement?" Asked Reiner.

It took a couple of minutes for the crowd to silence down, allowing Erwin to continue on.

Everyone listened to his plan, but no matter how heartfet it was, people valued their lives. They knew the limits of their capabilities as they viewed the horror of the titans.