My Gift Is My Song

Setting: post-Finale, Scarlett's eighteenth birthday
Inspiration: this oneshot and the lyrics that were in it were requested by @JuneDaniIparis
That scene from Tangled where Rapz and Eugene sing 'And at last I see the light' also helped fuel this oneshot :)

The stars came out to shine on the empress's eighteenth birthday. And to help with their bright lighting were hundreds of lanterns being prepared to be launched in the sky to celebrate Valenda's queen.

"Where are we going?" Scarlett asked as Julian guided her to the docks of Valenda.

"Well, if we're going to watch the lanterns float into the sky, we should do it the right way. And these are the best seats in the house." Julian helped Scarlett into the small rowboat before hopping in himself.

"I think I'm getting deja vu," Scarlett laughed quietly as Julian's strong arms began rowing the boat to the middle of the small moat around the castle.

"How can you get deja vu if I haven't done this yet?" Julian raised an oar and splashed Scarlett.

Scarlett gasped as the left side of her dress was lightly soaked, "You scoundrel!"

Julian broke out in laughter and eventually, Scarlett did too.

They settled into a comfortable silence as Scarlett took in the beautiful night sky and Julian began to hum. She loved the sound of his hum, but he didn't use it often.

"Julian, can I ask for a birthday gift?" Scarlett began, biting her lip and leaning closer in anticipation of his response.

Julian raised his eyebrows, "Maybe. What kind of gift?"

"Sing to me, please?" Scarlett asked hopefully as they reached their destination. They had a clear view of the back area of the castle and the sky.

Julian shook his head slightly, "That is one of the very few things that I will deny you, Crimson."

"But it's my birthday."

Julian let out a sigh as he stared at his fiancée for a few moments, "You are going to be the death of me."

Scarlett broke out into a grin as he set down the oars in their holders, and held Scarlett so that he was cradling her in his arms and her head rested against his chest. She could feel the slight vibrations of his vocal cords against the side of her head as he began to sing.

"My gift is my song,
And this one's for you.
And you can tell everybody this is your song,
It may be quite simple,
but now that it's done:
I hope you don't mind,
That my gift is my song
That I put into lyrics
Just for you."

His voice was like spilling honey: warm, gentle, and made her feel comforted in every way. And just as he finished his last lyric, the first lantern was launched into the sky.

"Your voice is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard," Scarlett whispered quietly, gazing into Julian's eyes of caramel and liquid amber lust.

The edges of his mouth turned up as he held her tighter. Another lantern was lifted into the sky.

"Happy birthday, Crimson." He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her with all of the passion and love he had to give.

As they broke apart, a lantern fell close to the rowboat and Julian and Scarlett's hands brushed as they both lifted it back into the sky. While they were in a mix of worshipping lips and greedy hands, hundreds of lanterns were lit in the sky by the citizens of Valenda.

Julian gripped onto the next lantern that fluttered close to their boat and gave it to Scarlett, "Make a wish."

Scarlett rolled her eyes but thought of something to wish for nonetheless.

She wished she would be blessed with many more of these small, vulnerable and intimate moments to happen between her and her soon-to-be-husband for the rest of her life as she relaunched the lantern into the sky.

"What did you wish for?" Julian asked as he watched the lantern continue its journey across he city Valenda.

"If I tell you it won't come true."

"That's not how wishes work, Crimson."

"What if I told you that I wished for you to sing to me every night?" Not an entire lie, but not the truth either.

"In that case, that is how wishes work, and now it won't come true," Julian said stubbornly with a gleam in his eye.

She chuckled softly, "I really do love your singing. You should do it more often."

"Not every night but... I will sing to you on each of your birthdays to come. But that's it."

Scarlett's face lit up brighter than the lanterns in the sky, "I love you, Julian."

"And I you, Crimson." He pressed a kiss to her lips once again. "Now tell me what you really wished for."

Scarlett paused before replying, "I wished that we would be blessed with moments like these for the rest of our lives. Just being with you is the best birthday gift I could ever ask for."

"Well, you've never really been a material type of girl."

Scarlett nudged Julian playfully as the stars winked down on them.

"But," he continued, "you've always been my type of girl."

A/N
I know the ending is kind of cheesy but I like cheese.
I altered the lyrics in the slightest way just so it would fit nicely :)
(I have the perfect idea for the next request)