tattle tale

This isn't a request but I wanted to write it

Esmerelda watched herself in the mirror as a hawk would it's prey. She smiled with satisfaction as
her red hair faded into grey, her smooth skin wrinkled and pruned, and her tattoos disappeared completely. She knew the spell would work, but it was always a fascination to watch it happen.

Although she could have completed this job with her natural appearance, an old lady was far more believable and innocent than a young woman painted with tattoos. Manipulation was a trait that Esmerelda was well practiced in, and she did a damn good job at it too.

She turned away from the mirror, setting out to find the Governor of Trisda. Esmerelda didn't see why three rogue teenagers running away could interfere with the destruction of the Fates, but she would have been a fool not to listen to the goddesses she prayed to. They were, after all, the source of her magic. The source of the Fates' magic. And with the deck being undeniably weak, Esmerelda knew it would open soon if she couldn't find a way to destroy it. Desperation had lead her to this.

The goddesses bestowed whispers to her at night, warning her of the path that would be twisted should the three kids succeed in their escapade. They also alerted her should she choose to intervene, it would lead to the death of a child. Esmerelda couldn't find it in herself to feel pity. One life was insignificant to her. If it meant the Fates would be able to be destroyed soon, then to hell with it. She knew she'd be going there someday anyway.

It had been many centuries since she had last seen Gavriel, and it was not on good terms. They had a falling out, which lead to him and his Fates' imprisonment in the Deck of Destiny. Esmeralda had manipulated him from the day she seen him, he was so easy to play with. But somewhere along the way, he must've caught on. Gavriel was so close to overthrowing her, almost killing her.

Almost.

Her mouth twitched up at the thought. Part of her missed him. She loved always being one step ahead of him. She may have been a monster, but so was he.

The monster you made him, the goddesses whispered.

Esmerelda rolled her eyes, and for a brief moment she felt the stars judging her. Inching in close as she targeted Marcello Dragna. The easiest way to stop the children from leaving without using her magic directly was to tattle to their father with anger issues. She briefly wondered if he would be the one to kill a child that night.

Taking a life was something the stars, and even the goddesses, didn't take lightly. Though it most of the time went unpunished, there was always damnation to follow taking the life of a child. But it would be nothing compared to the wrath of Gavriel and the rest of the Fates if they woke up.

Her hand rapped against the governor's door until he finally opened it.

"It is the late hours of the night, at my own home, no I will not join or donate to your church," the governor said boldly, frowning in distaste at the old woman in front of him.

If it weren't for the destiny of the Fates, Esmerelda wouldn't have swallowed her pride. But she had a job to do.

"Sorry to bother you, governor," Esmerelda apologized and bowed her head. "But I seen three kiddies hopping on a boat along the shore, and I'm concerned for their safety. If I didn't know any better, two of the kiddies looked like Scarlett and Donatella. I've seen them around the island before, good kids. But I'm worried they'll get hurt."

Luckily for Esmerelda, the goddesses had whispered the names of the three children. Scarlett and Donatella Dragna, and Felipe Wilson. They hadn't always been so kind as to provide names for fate warpers, but she supposed even the goddesses were eager to be rid of the Fates.