withered clocks

ELANTINE DYNASTY
[PROLOGUE]

     Tick.

     Tick.

     Tick.

     The clock followed Dalia in the darkest parts of her mind just like the echoing sounds of her heeled boots did as she walked through the halls of Elantine Palace.

     Seventeen. What a dream, sang the voices. Grim is on his way to reap.

     The clock continued to turn, constricting her throat tighter than a noose. Dalia felt it pulling her back yet she continued forward. She was not yet seventeen, though in four more hours she would be.

     One would think being the daughter of Caraval Master Legend and the Princess of the Meridian Empire would make a girl's life easy. However, it was anything but.

     When she finally reached her destination, the guards standing at their post bowed, before moving out of the way to let her in.

     Dalia sunk into the cushioned seat beside his bed, grabbing ahold of his hand as she let out a shaky breath. "I'm almost seventeen."

     No response.

     "I have a tough choice to make, and I could really use my best friend right now."

     Quiet.

     Dalia choked out a sob as tears burned behind her eyes. "Wake the fuck up!"

     Tick.

     Tick.

     Tick.

A/N
So I've been REALLY inactive lately. I have a few requests, and I hope to get to writing those eventually, and I know this is really short, but I had this written a few months ago and figured I would share.

I'll probably add more eventually but there are other mini series that I need to finish, and this story will probs be very long, but I just wanted to keep this collection going.