I Think I'm In Love

Setting: Post-Legendary/Pre-Finale
Inspiration: "I think I'm in love."

     "All I'm asking for is an excuse to leave for a few weeks. Or—since I've been lying for you for decades—lie for me," Julian pleaded with his brother.

     "If Tella asks about you for Scarlett, I do not wish to lie to her," Legend grunted.

     "Then make it a truth. Surely there must be some business you need taken care of?"

     "Why such the big fuss for a replaceable girl?"

     Julian's jaw clenched and his nails dug into his palm to keep from striking his brother across his face. He drew a deep breath and tried to imagine Scarlett interlacing her fingers with his. Her soft hand brushing his calloused one. Her reasonable words countering his reckless ones.

     "Scarlett is not just some replaceable girl," Julian tried to manage as calmly as possible.

     "If you wish to leave for a few weeks with a reason, and if she is irreplaceable, then tell me why make such a big deal. Why is she irreplaceable?" Legend offered.

     Julian was tempted to taunt Legend that he most likely had the same thoughts about Tella, but once again refrained. It was because Julian felt something about Scarlett that immortals could not.

     "Still playing games after all these years?" Julian joked, but his face fell when Legend did not laugh. His voice came out barely above a whisper this time as he studied his brother's reaction. "I think I'm in love."

     Legend's face was blank. He blinked at Julian. "You think you're in love with her?"

     Julian's hand pulled at his hair. "I need time to think. I don't- I just gave you your answer, now you give me my reason. I am not letting you lure me into this conversation because you will not understand it."

     Legend flinched but recovered quickly. "You cannot fault me for being incapable of love."

     "I'm not. I've learned to accept it over the years. But if you're just going to taunt me over this, saying love is dangerous, I can't promise I won't punch you."

     Legend sighed. "Southern of the Meridian Empire I have a few loose ends that need to be tied up. It should only take a week, but who am I to say you won't get caught up for a plethora of weeks afterwards?"

     Julian could feel his heart lift. "Thank you."

     But before he let himself get too hopeful, he pinched the inside of his wrist. He could not let himself get confused between caring, and loving. Just because Legend cared about him did not mean he loved him.

     "Oh, and little brother?"

     Julian looked up at Legend, his mouth twisting downwards at the word little.

     "Take care of yourself."

     Julian nodded, a smile working its way onto his face. "You too."

     "The Fates will be out to play some grown-up games with us soon enough."

🖤❤️🌟🎩🌟❤️🖤

    "I'd like to get a tattoo of this star." Julian removed the slip of paper he had carefully concealed inside his shirt pocket, sliding the hand-drawn design over the counter.

     The tattoo artist picked it up and studied it carefully. "What shade?"

     "Crimson."

     The artist nodded, motioning for Julian to sit down on the chair. He did, bracing himself for the pain that was sure to follow the needle.

     He heard the buzz of the tattoo gun before he felt the sting of it. Julian bit the inside of his cheek as it stained his skin. She was worth all of the pain in the world.

     Crimson, crimson, crimson. He could not stop thinking about her for a single moment since he left. When he woke up, Crimson. When he worked during the day, Crimson. When he was dreaming, it was about her. Always her.

     Oh, how karma bit him in the ass.

     A lone tear escaped his eye, and the tattoo artist would think it was because of the needle piercing his skin. Not because of the girl who this tattoo was about, the girl who had no guarantee would ever love him again.

     For once, he had found someone who he loved, and they loved him too. He had love, so raw, so pure and so real, and he did what he did best.

     Lie.

     He knew he would never be able to stop loving Scarlett. But did she stop loving him? Would she love him again?

      "All done."

     Julian looked down at the tattoo. "It's exactly what I wanted," Julian murmured.

     A crimson star winked back at him. Every part of it screamed Scarlett and he knew he would never forget. He could walk the Earth a million years without a reminder tattooed on his skin and never forget. Never forget Scarlett Dragna, the glistening star that would always shine bright, the love of his life.

A/N
I tried to balance as much fluff as I could with the angst. I also threw in some brotherly stuff in there because why not. The song "Feel Better" by Penelope Scott influenced the second half of this one-shot. I know the song is about a toxic relationship, but the chorus reminded me of Julian.