the shooting star

*also posted on tumblr @ julietthereaper*

"Look Catherine, a shooting star. Did you wish?"
"Oh, I didn't have time."
"Then there is something you wish for?"
"Yes."               - Dangerously Yours

      *-*-*-*

     Julian had been looking for her. She looked so enchanting standing there, soaking up the moonlight. Scarlett's gaze fixed upon the stars above them as they twinkled down on the cursed isle. He was momentarily taken back to the first time he truly saw her, back on Trisda.

     Scarlett Dragna was such a romantic. Julian thought about how she would love to be the muse of her lover's poem, have filthy-sweet words whispered in her ear, and get flowers just because I love you.

      His eyes shut and his hand scrubbed over his stubble. Julian didn't love her. Yes, he cared about the selfless girl with a colour for a name (no one with eyes could deny that), but Julian Santos did not fall in love. Besides, the closer he got to her, the harder this game would be. It would only end in pain between them. But oh, Julian wanted her to win. And he really wanted to kiss her.

      Instead, he let himself admire her for a moment longer. Admiring from afar wouldn't hurt at all.
Scarlett was none the wiser and he wasn't getting too close. What was that saying... no harm no foul?

      Her shiny brown hair cascaded down her shoulders, hair that he just wanted to run his rough fingers through. Julian couldn't see her pretty hazel eyes from his distance but he could imagine the glimmer in them. That sparkle of hope that made him believe in something (he wasn't quite sure what, but he knew he believed in it. Oh, and that soft pink dress that reminded him of lips longing to be kissed, it clung to her curves and...

     He forced his eyes away from her. Julian had to walk away while he still could. Scarlett Dragna was merely a player in Caraval. A player he was instructed not to get too close to; his brother made it quite clear what would happen if he did. She was going to be gone from his life in a few days. As long as everything went to plan, Scarlett would get the life she deserved. Happy and safe, hopefully even adventurous. A rotten feeling churned in his stomach.

     Julian would be sorry to see her go.

     Maybe he could convince Legend to invite her next year, in exchange for Julian acting in another-

     He picked up his feet and walked away. Scarlett Dragna was not meant to be with him. She was one of the few good things in this world, and Julian was not good. He could flirt with her all he wanted to, and even if she flirted back, she still had a fiancé that Julian had no doubt ever-faithful Crimson would go back to when she discovered it was all a game.

     And discovered he was an actor. A performer. A liar.

      "Julian!"

      He stopped dead in his tracks as his heart picked up. Her voice held a smile and the hint of a question, maybe even a little bit of hope. Probably wondering if he would stop just because she asked him to. If he recognized her voice after only a few days.

     "Crimson." Confident. Cool. Cocky. "Looking for me?"

     She scoffed and he turned around to face her.
"Please, I'm trying to win. I just thought I saw you."

     He took a few steps towards her. "Any luck?"

     "Maybe you'd know if you hadn't ditched me when I went to talk to Nigel. Infront of the jade tent, remember?"

     Ah. An easy subject to deflect. And a fun one.
"You mean the kissing tent?" Julian threw her a smirk. "We don't need a tent if you want a magical
Caraval kiss."

     "That's not... ugh, gross, Julian."

     His heart constricted a fraction. He was reminded of the way she acted earlier when he teased her about a kiss: disgusted. Though her cheeks flushed, so he considered that she was just acting.

     "Have you ever kissed anyone before?" He asked, curious now they were on the topic. Bonus if it helped him steer the conversation.

     She sucked in her cheeks. "That's none of your business."

     "So... no?"

     Scarlett glared at him. "If you must know, I have been kissed before. I'm not that undesirable, am I?"

     His eyebrows scrunched together. Surely someone as angelic as Scarlett wouldn't take his teasing as insinuating she was undesirable? "Would I offer someone undesirable a kiss? I just mean you're a very... 'innocent, waiting for the right man' type of
girl."

     Julian had been so taken aback by the undesirable comment, he didn't realize Scarlett just admitted she had kissed someone before. He hadn't expected that but wondered if the guy she locked lips with was even worth the time of day.

      "You desire me?" Scarlett poked him, letting a small giggle slip.

     He was about to say some flirtatious remark when his eyes slipped to the sky. Julian grabbed her hand to point to the starry night. "Look, Crimson. A shooting star."

     He turned to watch her watch it. Scarlett's pink lips parted and her eyes widened. Her expression was just adorable.

     "Did you wish?"

     Scarlett sighed, "Oh, I didn't have time."

     "Then there is something you wish for?"

     "Yes."

     Julian smiled. Such a romantic, of course there was.

     "What did you wish?"

     He followed her eyes as they dropped to their hands, intertwined. She let go. You are not embarrassed, you are not embarrassed, you are not-

     "I can't tell you, then it won't come true."

      "That's not how wishes work. And besides, you missed the star, it won't come true anyway." Julian just wanted to know.

     "Well, it won't come true with that attitude." Scarlett skipped in front of him, a new pep in her step. He followed her.

     Julian had a sinking feeling he wouldn't be able to walk away from her.

      "When it comes true, will you tell me then?"

      Scarlett stopped abruptly resulting in Julian nearly crashing into her. She whipped around, only an inch away from him. Those pretty hazel eyes were at level with his lips, and she didn't lift her gaze.

     "Maybe. If you ask nicely."

     It took every ounce of willpower he had not to cradle her face and crash his lips against hers. How did Scarlett have such a hold on him?

     Lucky for him, he didn't get the chance to. She turned back on her path and Julian waited a few moments, putting some space between them.

     He desperately hoped no one was lurking in the shadows, ever so ready to report to Legend just how incompetent his little brother was being. Julian just wanted to stay with her, continue to discover the wonder that was Scarlett Dragna.

     How in God's name was he supposed to watch her walk away in only a few days?

A/N
obviously this partially strays from the Caraval time line but I tried to keep this as "canon" as possible. sorry I haven't been writing requests in like forever, sometimes I just get kicks of Inspo for random ideas and just type away!