Forever Is A Long Time | Webgott

T/W: major character death

           Joe was always doubtful of his homosexuality. It was the 40's it was shut out of society and not talked about.
Joe always hated injustice and being a closeted gay Jewish man wasn't always easy.

David grew up in a conservative, homophobic family. It was normal to be homophobic in the '40s but he didn't want to talk about it.

Joe knew David would be the man he married when he first saw him in Toccoa.
But neither of them ever made moves on each other because they were scared of one, not reciprocating feelings.
When they finally fessed up their feelings they were sitting on Winters dock that he always went swimming at in the morning. Both of them laying on and basking in the sunlight.
Both of them were buzzed as it was VE Day and had all the liquor in the world.
Webster had kept his eyes fixated on Joe's scar.
It was small but the light skin stood out.
The two boys silently turned to each other and kissed.
A long, slow kiss.
They would end up making love to each other on that dock

••••

        "Daddy!" Rosemary ran to Joe who was sitting on the beach.

"Yeah, sweety?" Joe caught the wet little girl.

"Daddy said that we could have popsicles!" She giggled and Joe grabbed her towel.

"Did he?" He looked over at Web who was playing with Randall.

"Mum's!" She nodded, Joe picked up the young girl.

"David?" Joe walked towards his husband.

"Yeah Joe?" He turned and picked up Randall.

"Rosemary said that you promised popsicles." Joe raised an eyebrow looking at their daughter.

"I did, you guys want popsicles?" David looked at Randall and Rosemary. The twins nodded and Joe giggled.

"Here go get some popsicles," Joe set down Rosemary and David set down Randall.
They both raced back up to their perfect house. Joe put his arm around Joe and kissed his cheek.

"So how's your book going?" Joe smiled.

"It's doing good I'm actually almost done and ready to edit." David smiled back as they walked up the deck stairs to their house.

•••

Joe came up behind David as he was sitting at his desk overlooking the ocean. He put his arms around his shoulders and kissed his neck.

"What's up?" David smiled looking up from his map.

"What're you doing?" Joe whined and kissed David's cheek.

"I think I'm going to go out on a shark hunt. Like not a violent one but to get pictures of my own for the book.

"Aw but I don't want you to go," Joe pouted pulling away and leaning on the wall.

"I'm not even leaving for another week," he stood up and took Joe's hands.
Joe sighed and kissed David's neck gently feeling lustful.
David whined and looked upbringing his lips to Joe's. Joe sighed and bent over slightly scooping up David.
David moaned against his husband and wrapped his legs around Joe. Joe squeezed David's ass gently and kissed him pressing him up against the wall.

"Fuck," Joe whined as David pulled at his hair slightly. They smiled at each other and rushed upstairs to their room. They weren't bothered about waking the kids because their rooms were downstairs.
Joe laid down David and they shared one of their last intimate moments together.

•••

             Joe kissed David closely and passionately, biting David's bottom lip momentarily.
"Joe I gotta go," he sighed holding both of Joe's hands.

"I'm just going to miss you so much, the bed is going to be cold." Joe pouted.

"Daddy do you have to leave?" Randall crossed his arms.

"I'll be back before you know it," David kneeled and hugged Randall and Rosemary.
"Your dad is going to take good care of you and I want you guys to be on the best behavior you can muster up."

"Promise," Rosemary sniffed as tears started to well up.

"Oh don't cry hun," Joe bent down and rubbed her back, "Why don't we go get ice cream after daddy leaves?"

"Okay," she nodded and hugged David one last time and Rosemary did the same. Joe and David stood up and shared a quick kiss.

"I love you so much David," Joe looked into his deep blue eyes.

"I love you more Joe," he kissed his knuckles gently. Joe grazed his fingers over Joe's wedding ring.

"I'm gonna fuck you so hard when you get back," Joe whispered into David's ear as they hugged.

"I know you will," he smiled and leaned into Joe's last kiss that he'd ever share with his partner.
Joe took a picture of David and his boat, then Joe and David and David and the kids.

The Liebgotts stood at the end of the dock and waved as David went off in his boat. They watched until they couldn't see him again. That would be the last time David would ever be seen again.

•••

             Joe sat at David's desk with his head in his hands. He just got the letter that David's boat had been found capsized with no David.
He sniffed as tears were all over his hands. He hadn't felt this way in a long time. Since he was at war.
He had just lost the love of his life, the only man in Easy company he still talked to.
The man Joe married illegally.
The man Joe adopted twins with.
Everything was gone, his sister opened the door returning with Rosemary and Randall.

"Hey, guys why don't we go and play for a moment." Talia frowned as she watched the kids run to their Rooms, "Joe what happened..."

"Him," he choked on the tears looking up at the frame of David and Joe at David's graduation that sat on his desk.

"Joe can be more specific?" She rubbed his back.

"He went out to sea, they found his boat capsized with nobody." He sobbed and turned into his sister as she hugged him.

"Oh my god..." Talia sniffed and felt tears start to well up. She had grown close with her brother-in-law.
Joe was so broken and didn't know how he was going to make it.
But he would have to make it for their kids.