Angst Ending | baberoe

Gene sighed and looked down into his coffee. He had been working non stop all week. He had barely enough time to see Babe. He felt like the worst husband in the world.
It was just a busy time for the ER he supposed.

"Hey just continue to take your break I'll cover your patients," Spina sighed as he got up from the table in the break room.

"Spina I can't let you do that," Gene began to get up.

"Hey hey sit down. Babe doesn't want you to work yourself to death. Now sit and enjoy whatever weird leftovers you have." He assured him and took the files that were sitting by Gene.
Gene sighed and rubbed his eyes and glanced out the window. It was gloomy and rainy about 5:30. Babe should be leaving work about this time.
Gene sighed and rested his head on his hand where he began to feel himself nod off.

About ten minutes later Renee came in and a few moments later so did Ralph.

"Hey uh did you hear?" Ralph whispered to Renee as he observed his friend sleeping.

"Yeah Babes coming in. He was in a serious car accident." Renee whispered back "I was coming to tell you."
Gene began to wake up and heard some of the conversation then it set in.

Gene sat straight up and alert, "I need to help him? Has he arrived?" He ran out into the wall and onto the radios with the paramedics.

"This is trauma doctor Eugene Roe I need word on Edward Heffron-Roe." Eugene pleaded into the radio looking up Babes file right away. Just to make sure and for everyone to know what medications he was allergic to. And well peanuts.

"It's pretty traumatic Doc we're almost arriving." The man said calmly and Gene rushed down to where the ambulances arrived and saw it pull in. He swung the doors open and saw the love of his lip.

Babes red hair was messy. He could barely recognize Edwards face. He had cuts everywhere and blood, they had already had him on assisted breathing.

"Come on doc we gotta go or else he could start coding." Ralph sighed as he ran beside the paramedics.

"I need emergency surgery the rest of his clothes cut off. I need to order a scan too to check on internal bleeding." Gene started calling out orders as he grabbed clean gloves and stuff he would need. They got him on a bed and started hooking him up to what would keep him alive.
Gene sniffed to himself as he embraced all of what was wrong with Babe.

"Hey, Hey. Edward come back here." Babe called from the couch as Babe walked towards the bedroom to get their cat.

"Yes," Babe frowned and sat back down next to Gene. Gene smiled and Babe coddled into him. Gene gently running his hands through his red locks while smelling his sweet scent of shampoo.

"I don't ever wanna see you in my ER again. Or else we might have to get divorced." Gene giggled and kissed his cheek. Babe had fell onto a broken bottle at the bar he managed and had cut his hand pretty bad. Gene ended up having to stitch him up.

"Well how else am I supposed to come see you while we're both working?" Babe crossed his arms and stuck his bottom lip out giving Gene full puppy eyes.

"Well I'll come see you at your work. But unless you're bringing me lunch or we're going to appointments for a child I don't want you there." Gene smiled and nosed at Babes neck pressing kisses.

"Future children? We're going to have kids! Yes!" Babe sat up and they knocked heads against each other, "Ow!"

"You're so accident prone," Gene giggled and kissed Babes cheek, "Do you need some ice?"

"Gene what now?" Renee snapped him from his spacing.

"Uhm get a... get a drain tube in his lungs I think they're collapsed. Shit I think he's slipping into a coma." Gene sniffed to himself and he rubbed his eyes.

"Ralph get him out of here and I'll take over this he doesn't need this on him right now." Renee commanded.

"No! No! I need to be with him!" Gene begged. Ralph physically dragged him out of the room as they began to work on him.
Bill, George, and Joe came rushing in.
Bill pulling Gene into a tight hug as Gene just broke down. He had Babes blood on his white lab coat on his own hands for Christ's sake.

"Take a deep breath," Bill soothed him running his hands through Genes raven hair.

Later they got them all situated and Gene had passed out from exhaustion. Renee and Ralph came out over to them.

"Babe slipped into a coma but his body needs time to rest." Renee sighed.