There is Art in Wisdom (Contest Entry)

For the July 2021 contest of childrensfiction, New Skills. Featuring two characters of an story idea, and will act as an epilogue to the story. 

"Papa, can you please tell me a bedtime story?" Jilla asked her dad innocently as he moved around the room, slightly pacing in order to get things set up before his daughter fell asleep. 

Lalie Watson, nicknamed Lie, immediately answered, "Of course, Lala."

Once he was sure everything was in place, he strode over to her bed and sat down on the chair near her bedside table while saying, "Which story do you want to hear?"

"I wanna hear the story of the Wise King!" she answered.

"Alright," he settled himself down. "I'm honestly surprised you're asking for it. Especially since it's been a long day, what with the Everlasting Tree fiasco."

"I..." she hesitated, but she soon picked herself up and said, "It's been ages since you told me a story, Papa. I want to spend more time with you...."

His eyes softened hearing that.

Time couldn't come back, yes, but there was always a chance for you to make up for it. He hadn't known that before, having tied himself to work after his wife's death, until Jilla was possessed by Discaro, but now he did, and he was ready to make up for it.

"Okay then," he closed his eyes slightly, preparing himself mentally before he began his tale. The tale of a brave hero who didn't win with brawns, but with brains...

The Tale of the Wise King

Once upon a time, in a land far away with 3 kingdoms that were at war with each other, there lived a young boy on a farm with his parents. He was their only son, and his parents constantly worried about the world he lived in, fearing his death should he be forced to fight for the kingdom.

They thought and thought and thought, wondering just how they would keep their son safe.

Then, one day, it hit them. If their son was proven "useful", then he wouldn't be forced to fight. Not physically, but with knowledge and wisdom.

And so their son was taught everything the two knew, and more by going around the town to learn more from every single person. Every day, the curious child learnt more about the world beyond the kingdom, and he was taken on walks to observe and learn. Those were blissful times.

However, tragedy struck. Upon reaching his 14th birthday, his parents were killed during a three-way battle, and the troop leader sent him a letter declaring that he too was to fight for the kingdom.

The son, who had never lifted a sword before, wrote back, saying that he would like to be an advisor instead of a soldier, detailing how much he knew but remaining humble.

When the king heard of this, he was immediately intrigued, and sent an invite to the young man, offering him a place in his court.

The young man agreed, and so he packed up and prepared to leave his hometown, with only the map he had sketched out in his head for years as an aid.