CHAPTER EIGHT

There's a saying that goes...

... "Curiosity kills the cat".

___________________

I sat on the chair near my window, thinking about the exchange I had with Queen Lietta yesterday. After she told me not to worry about them, she quickly shut our communication as a person was approaching their room. We can't have anyone knowing about my plan...

I stared at the fields ahead of me. Queen Lietta's right though, I should be worrying more about myself. I can't afford to help anyone while I carry heavy burdens. Even so, I can't leave them alone here... I sighed, feeling conflicted. I've been overthinking for the past few days... I called for my maids.

"I want to take a stroll. Help me get ready." I ordered as soon as the maids entered.

"Yes princess" They immediately prepared and a few moments later, I was ready to go. Wearing a lavender-colored day dress, I walked in the garden carrying a matching parasol. The weather's quite gloomy but I need to take my mind off things...

I'm in the garden in front of my palace. Seeing the same scenery every day made me want some change so I asked the maids to lead me to somewhere new. The maids were confused. I don't blame them. The only places I usually go would be the royal dining room, my palace garden, and my room. I rarely go out. Nevertheless, they still led me somewhere.

" Is this an artificial lake?" I asked the maids as I have never seen the palace have a lake before. The maids nodded and told me it was built two years ago. The place was filled with lush, giant trees making the area cool. In the middle of it, you can see the lake, bushes, and flowers grow beside it. I ordered my maids to leave me and told them I will call for them once I'm tired.

I sat on a log I found nearby. I closed my eyes as I felt the cool breeze on my face. The quiet surroundings and the slight noises of nature calmed my ever anxious heart. There's something very familiar about this place... The place is secluded so there would be no maids constantly staring at every movement I make. I stood up and stretched my arms, did a short warm-up, and felt refreshed right after. It's been a long time since I felt like this.

Faintly laughing, I glanced at the lake. The water is clear, very clear that I can see the rocks below. It is filled with lily pads though.
" Ah... I remember now..." This is the place we used to play... Before this lake was built. Years before mother died. This is another place mother would always take us. We'd stay here and play, with food and a blanket, like a picnic... Mom said it's for a change of scenery since we always do picnics in the garden... What a coincidence I came back here when I wanted a change of pace...

Watching the lily pads in the lake, something caught my eyes. Beautiful pale pink petals can be seen above a lily pad quite near where I am. Water droplets sat atop the petals making it look like ripe fruit. Its vibrant leaves contrast the pastel-colored flower, making it pleasant to the eyes. It's a lotus flower... I've never seen such a beautiful one...

Overwhelmed with curiosity, I went nearer the lake, staring curiously at the flower. How could a flower look like a fruit? The flower's texture looked so smooth, like a peach. The flower's colors are very pleasing to the eye that it made me want to touch the petals. It's like I've been enchanted by this flower. It looks so beautiful that I can't help but want to touch it.

Touching the flower wasn't a regret. The soft petals feel pleasant to my hand that I can't take it away from me. I kept on caressing the beautiful flower, amazed by how soft it felt. It's weird yet I found myself smiling while caressing the flower. I continued to satiate my curiosity, unaware of the dangers this seemingly harmless flower hid.

Continuing to touch the lotus flower with flushed cheeks. I was like a happy child, preoccupied with what I'm doing that I didn't even notice the creeping vines that emerged from the lake. It was only when my ankles and waist were completely wrapped with vines that I realized what this thing is, the beautiful lotus flower in a lake full of lily pads... I should've known better!

Everything happened so fast. From the wrapping of vines to me getting dragged into the water, late in processing what happened. I didn't even have time to scream. The monster is so swift that he successfully plunged me into the water without alerting anyone from outside the place...

HAH!! And here I thought I finally had a day without anything happening...

... Turns out I am wrong.

________________

A/n: Hi! I hope you're enjoying this. The picture at the beginning is a sketch I did of Queen Julieta and Princess Jullienne. That is how I imagined them to look like. Anyways thank you for reading Godbless and Love lots!❤❤❤ See you in the next chapter!