CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

The garden was quite far. We went to several corridors before arriving there. Though it was pretty long, the journey was worth it as colorful flowers and vibrant leaves greeted my eyes. In a land with snow all year round, seeing this sea of colors in front of me makes my heart thump. I've only been in this frigid north for a few days but I already miss my garden back in Mortem. The only place I could ever find solitude...

Various types of plants and flowers are lined up neatly in a stylish manner. Some tables and chairs are arranged accordingly and everything looks well-maintained. From left to right, everything looks pleasing to the eyes. My garden in Mortem could never... Even though I religiously tended to my garden, I lacked knowledge in areas that a professional gardener can do... 

Renny and Rosy chattered about the flowers and plants in the garden. It seems they often visit here. They animatedly talked about their favorite flowers and what they do here. I listened attentively to them nodding my head occasionally. They do like to talk, I mused. How cute! 

"We sometimes have tea in here," Rosy said as she dragged me to one of the tables here. "Come, sit. The breeze is very warm in here." She continued as Renny sat in a chair next to Rose.

"We usually come here to eat Nanny's sandwiches. Nanny makes the best sandwiches in the world!" Renny claimed exaggeratedly as Rosy fervently agreed. I laughed at how cute they are. 

"Oh, then should I make some right now?" The nanny suggested and the kids' eyes sparkled at the mention of it. They both clapped their hands and agreed to what the nanny said. They urged her with their puppy dog eyes saying " Please~" adorably.

Laughing heartily, the nanny left to prepare some sandwiches and tea for the kids. We only had tea time a few minutes ago but I guess kids' tummies run differently than adult tummies. The kids and I talked about various things as we waited for the food. I asked them which flower they liked the most.

"I like the Rose flower, like my name, Rose!" Rosy excitedly answered. "I like the red rose. Mommy said it means Love!" She raised her hands and placed them on her chest as she continued speaking. 

" MIne's a Lotus flower," Renny said as he shyly said. " Daddy told me that it's a flower found in the east part of the world. He said he'd take me to see them someday..." Renny's voice trailed off as his mood sank. He bowed his head and tightly pursed his lips. I don't know what to say...  I've never consoled anyone before so I don't know how to approach this kind of thing.

I'm afraid of saying something wrong so I shut my mouth. Silence engulfed the room and was only broken by Rose's statement.

"Nanny said Mommy and Daddy are up there." The girl quietly said as she pointed above. " Nanny said They're always watching and protecting us..." Rose continued as she placed her hands above the table.

"... Really?" I asked. They nodded their heads showing they agreed. " My mommy's up there too..." I blurted and their eyes shot up. I looked at their wide eyes that's asking 'Really?' and smiled.

"My mommy's up there watching and protecting me," I stated and their eyes filled with doubt. 

"How do you know that?" Renny asked skeptically and I shrugged saying I just do. 

" I know my mom is always protecting me from above and being with me. Your Mommy and Daddy must be the same too, after all, they wouldn't want to have you in harm's way." I seriously said to them. They pondered about what I said for a minute and finally accepted what I said. 

"Alright. We'll believe you." Rosy said and Renny agreed. Both of them resumed talking about various things and I smiled at them. Just in time, the nanny entered with the tea and sandwiches in tow and placed them one by one on the table. 

The kids immediately dug at the food and chattered with each other. I sipped at the tea and admired the garden view. I can't help but feel as if something's different in the garden and it's not only because it's splendid but I feel like the barrier spell that surrounds Steros are absent here. I recently learned that I acquired mana-sensing skills after overcoming mana reflux. I read research about that and it says some survivors can acquire these skills.

"Is the tea to your liking, My lady?" The Nanny asked and I nodded.

"The tea's very fragrant," I said and the nanny smiled. Showing her dimples and her eyes that are smiling too. 

"I'm glad it is to your liking." The nanny said as she looked ahead.

"By the way," I started as I looked at the nanny. "I don't feel the barrier surrounding Steros in here."The nanny seemed surprised at what I said. I guess she didn't expect me to notice. 

"Well... do you know how this garden is kept warm all year round?" She asked as I shook my head. " It's because of an artifact. That artifact was an heirloom passed down in the Steros family and only discovered its purpose a few decades ago." The nanny continued. I've read about artifacts before. it is said that artifacts are the inventions of a talented sage thousands of years ago so very little of them are seen nowadays. 

" So an artifact is used to warm the place?" I asked and the nanny affirmed.

" And it is the reason why the barrier is nonexistent here," pouring more tea into my now empty teacup, the nanny stated. " The artifact cancels any mana-related spells."