CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

"Pardon..?" I was confused by the princess' question. My security's too... lax? I subtly checked the security measures I installed beforehand and pondered, I've installed several high-level magic devices around this room. I don't think it's insecure at all... 

"Not at all, Princess. The security I have is quite reliable. You don't need to worry about that." I assured her but she seemed to frown even further. Did she not notice the magic devices..? She sighed and looked at me determinedly.

"Your Grace, although you have several magic devices installed strategically, you still need to have knights guarding you at all times! What if I had been an assassin and managed to get past the security devices and tried to harm you?" I listened to her frustration and couldn't understand why she would care so much for my safety. 

"You don't need to worry about that, Princess. I am capable of protecting myself." I again told her it was alright and there was no need to worry but that seemed to worsen her frustration. 

"I know you are a talented mage, Your Grace, but you can't possibly take some things on your own. What if you are ambushed and they know your weaknesses? You need the help of others! A person of your status should be guarded at all times!!!" Her voice echoed loudly through the hallway. The princess seemed to get back to her senses and quieted down. She looked away and covered her mouth as she muttered an apology. I tried my best not to laugh but a small snicker escaped. 

She looked at me eyes wide open as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. She whispered something which I could faintly hear as 'you're laughing...' 

Of course, I laughed. I thought confused with why she seemed so bewildered with seeing me laugh. It didn't occur to me at the time that to most people, it's an incredibly rare opportunity to see me raising the corners of my mouth. Although I'm aware most people think I am suffering from facial paralysis, I thought I'm showing enough emotions to her these past few weeks...

Given that I suddenly confessed my woes to her, I thought so.

"Anyway," She suddenly stated as she cleared her throat, " As I've said, Your Grace, you need to be protected at all times. I might not be able to repay you for the help you've been giving me at the moment but... I can at least remind you to be careful. The least I can do to help is to remind you not to get in harm's way..." 

I discovered at that moment that the princess is bothered by the fact that she's always been at the receiving end since she arrived at the duchy. She's not like a pampered princess at all... Or maybe it's just me being prejudiced about royals? I thought she'll just take my help for granted and not be bothered about it. Most royals do. Well, most royals that I've met at least. 

My heart warmed at the thought that she was worried about me. though that worry stemmed from wanting to repay my help, it still touched my heartstrings.

I smiled reassuringly, "I can protect myself on my own, Princess, though I am grateful for your concern." My title as the most powerful mage on the continent isn't for nothing after all. "Besides... I must help you, Princess. a duty I should naturally do. You don't need to repay me..." I mean what I said. There's a strange emotion bubbling at my heart whenever I see her. For some reason, I keep on wanting to help her, and I don't want her to think I'm helping her because I have ulterior motives... Right now, I wish she'll take my help for granted like the other royals...

Silence ensued in the hallway and I am getting nervous by the second. I don't know what to say next... 

"... Uhh... W-well, you need to control your mana..." 

". . ." 

What the heck was that?! That's completely random!!! 

I internally scolded myself for that lame excuse of starting a conversation. I can't do anything about it though. I already said it. I can only thank the heavens that I have mastered the art of poker faces or my emotions would've been as clear as the summer skies.

".. Right," The princess affirmed. " It seems I need to do so..." She muttered as a look of conflict flashed before her eyes. I wonder what she's thinking...
Lost in her thoughts the Princess remained silent and I watched as hesitation filled her movements. 

It took me quite an awkward amount of time before I opened my mouth.

"I can help you... If you want of course."