CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

"Princess..?" A soothing, deep voice echoed through the quiet garden which made me flinch. "What are you doing here at this time of the night?" The voice continued as I slowly turned around and face him, The Archduke. I was just talking about you a few moments ago and here you are, appearing before me. The same pale face, red, enticing eyes, and contrasting pitch-black hair. It seems the archduke lost a lot of sleep. His under eyes seem to have deepened... 

"Your Grace, I- Uhm, w-well... I can't sleep..!" I made a hasty excuse as to why I'm here at this hour. "I went with the kids here earlier in the afternoon and uh- I like the place and s-so since I can't sleep I- uhh went here, instead..." Scratching the back of my head and avoiding his prying ruby-red eyes, I hoped he would buy my excuse and ask me no further of the matter.

"... I see, well then, isn't it hot in that coat? It's warm here." The archduke said as he pointed at my thick coat. Although he didn't seem to buy my excuse, he didn't ask me further. I wonder why... He had every right to question me... 

"Oh, well... I was about to head out." I said truthfully. I was indeed about to go when he appeared. 

"Hmm, I see..." He said as silence engulfed the place. He seemed to like the phrase 'I see'. He always used it. "So... would you mind joining me for a while before you go?"He asked, breaking the awkward silence. 

"I don't mind." I didn't say that because I can't refuse, I just don't mind. I was planning to stay here for a while after calling Seraphina if he hadn't appeared anyway. Might as well use this chance to admire the garden more since he invited me. 

"Alright then, shall we?" He asked as he held out his hand and I placed mine on top of his. He led me to a bench a little further from the table I sat on. I didn't notice the bench here... Was I too busy admiring the garden? You get a clear view of the night sky in this part since quite a few trees are in here. The table was placed near a tree for its shade.

 I took off the coat since it was getting hot and sat on the bench next to the archduke. Silence ensued as I quietly looked at the stars flickering above. The stars glowed in contrast to the dark sky. I was a little nervous. It's been a while since I last saw him and I don't know how to approach him. I don't know him that much, it's a little awkward...

I was quietly looking at the stars, occasionally rhythmically tapping my hands to ease my nervousness, when the archduke opened his mouth. 

"So, why were you here?" I flinch at his question. He didn't believe me in the slightest! I sighed. I guess I have no reason to keep it a secret...

"... I was trying to see if I could reach my contract spirit..." I quietly answered. " I can't call him inside so I wanted to try calling him here but it doesn't work." I continued explaining while avoiding his eyes. It is somewhat true that I came here for Fenrir...

"But calling spirits require mana to use. This place cancels any type of mana activity so of course, it wouldn't work." He said as I wanted to face-slap myself for the stupidity I've shown.

"... Right, I forgot about that..." Ahhhh!!! How embarrassing!! And he's laughing too... 

"Anyway... Isn't the stars beautiful?" I looked at him as he said that. Having a good laugh, his expression slightly changed into that of melancholy, as he stared up at the sky, leaning back on the bench in a relaxed manner. I looked back at the stars and sounded my agreement.

"It is beautiful." I also leaned back and relaxed a little. Silence ensued again as we both stared above.

"My mother used to tend to this place." His voice resounded again and I remained silent. I don't think I should answer. Even if I should, I don't know what to say. "Well, before everything went wrong, that is." He continued while staring at the stars.

"Have you heard of 'The Steros' tragedy'?" He asked and I nodded slightly. I've heard of it from my maids. The death of Steros' lords. Even though it happened twelve years ago, people sometimes mention it when they talk about the archduke. Rumors say that the archduke was the one who assassinated his parents. The archduke raised the corners of his mouth slightly though his smile contained no happiness.

"I was the one who caused their deaths. All of them."