CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

A week has passed since our first lesson commenced. I can maneuver my mana more easily now even without the magic device. Although it feels uncomfortable, it has gotten a lot better since I've incorporated a technique eastern continents use to train their mana (it's called differently there though but I figured it's just about the same.)

It's where you circulate your mana throughout your whole body or the mana path inside your body so that those closed or blocked paths would open up, smoothen and mana would be able to flow stably.

The only downside to this technique is that it takes up an incredible amount of stamina. This rendered me exhausted for the past few days and I only have time to eat my meals before going back to rest after working out and using the technique.

It's worth it as I can see or feel obvious changes with my control. My stamina increased too, well, at least I wouldn't faint from merely walking. I can even run now for several minutes and still be fine after.

Today is the second session of my mana training. I have to say, I'm quite optimistic about this lesson. I'm even excited to show my progress with the Archduke. With Sir Kalian in tow, I made my way to the training grounds where the Archduke and I agreed to meet during our sessions. I unconsciously skipped my way through the halls showcasing how excited I was. I felt alive and free during these past weeks. it felt refreshing.

"Ticia, good morning. You seem joyous today?" The Archduke greeted with an amused expression plastered on his face. Hands resting on the pot in front of him, he looked at me with a faint smile.  The sunlight caressed his face making his fiery eyes shine brightly and his pale skin looks as if it was glowing. It's a blinding and mesmerizing sight making my breath momentarily halt. I don't think my heart would be able to take such sights.

"Your Grace," I answered as I curtsied. "It is such a fine morning. I can't help but look forward to what I'll be learning today." I said with a teasing grin causing the archduke to do likewise. Chuckling at my response, he gestured for Sir Kalian to wait while I follow him. 

"Come, I'll show you something." The archduke led me to a huge wooden door at the end of the hall across the training ground. He opened it and I stood rooted on the floor as I took in the scene before me. Inside the room, huge magical plants towered us. Lined up on all sides, different species of magical plants grew. They were in cages and were aggressively trying to get out of there. I noticed that these plants weren't normal ones. The plants are on the duller side in their color, some of their leaves are even wilting. I injected mana into my eyes and looked again.

"Undead plants..." I muttered under my hitching breath as I followed the red sparks circling around the plants. It's magical power, not a life force. I glanced at the archduke and my eyes widened even more. And it's the archduke's magical power..! In awe, I frantically went up to the Archduke's side and rapidly tried to form words to find an explanation.

"Those are undead plants! Undead plants! Your Grace, those are undead plants, right?!" Adrenaline rushed through my bones as I hopped from one plant to the other admiring each of them with sparkling eyes. 

"Woah!!! This is amazing! This is the first time I've seen undead plants! A real undead plant! Not a textbook illustration!!!" I took in the scene before me. I can't believe I'm seeing something this rare, and it's a lot too! 

Wonder and delight filled my heart then finally, my gaze landed on the plant at the far end of the room. It was a beautiful white rose with pieces of red gem sprinkled on top of it. Its stem is dark green and full of thorns. Large leaves half-cocooned the flower, swaying back and forth, covering the plant and then uncovering it revealing the intricate details of the flower.

It is inside an intricately designed cage. A fitting one for the flower with intense wind power. Although its swaying looked gentle, it created such enormous wind currents enough to fly a brick house. I can't take my eyes off it... 

"A Rosenite"

____________________________________

The princess seemed absorbed in scrutinizing every little detail of the undead plants I successfully made for the past years. Her eyes shone as she hopped from one place to another. Like a rabbit... cute. I shook my head at the thought. Unbeknownst to myself, I have been smiling like a fool more often lately. I sighed. I let her be as I prepared the materials for our lesson. 

A moment later, the princess hushed. I looked in her direction and found her staring at the undead plant in the far corner of the room, inside a cage. Her eyes shone with fervor and I could feel her excitement radiating from where she is. I slowly went near her. 

"A Rosenite," I started, glancing at the princess before looking at the plant. "Quite an abundant plant around these parts. Just a bit difficult to tame." The plant gracefully swayed its large leaves and in its wake, comes a strong wind current blocked by the cage it was in. Loud thuds echo as the wind currents hit the barrier.

"Really?" The princess asked in wonder." It must be a powerful magical plant." 

"Indeed it is. My mana isn't suitable to be its alternate life force so its host is rejecting my mana. Probably because I'm an aura user." Mana suitability is important especially if you are raising undead. "You might be able to tame it though. I believe your mana is suitable enough. You should try it."

The princess' eyes stared ablaze at the Rosenite. She stepped forward and slowly raised her hands then gently released her mana. My eyes widened as I witnessed the Rosenite, which I spent years trying to tame, by the way, willingly let the princess touch its petals. The plant lowered its big leaves and leaned forward to the princess.

My aura in the plant vanished in a blink of an eye and was replaced by the princess'. I sighed. As expected... My mana really isn't suitable...