CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

I'm going to die.

This time, for sure, I'm going to. I just know it. 

Frozen in place, I collapsed from the pressure the demonic creature in front of me exuded. Breathing became a strenuous task, even moving was difficult. I tried to maintain the barrier albeit it seemed to not work... I forced myself to look at the archduke. I gritted my teeth seeing him still not waking up. I might die today but I certainly can't let the archduke die. Not yet. Not when he has people waiting for him... Unlike me.

The creature momentarily stopped his barrage of attacks and I took that chance to create a separate much stronger barrier for the archduke. I then flung him as far from the battle as possible. Then infused the barrier with more mana. I then stood up and hurriedly prepared attack spells from what I had learned. I took a deep breath, replenishing my mana using the surrounding life forces, excluding the Archduke's, and then cast the spell in on the breath.

"Shadow Bind: Cage of Darkness, Lock, Shadow Bind: Unbreakable chain, Cover,  Crimson Fury: Eternal flame, Envelope" Several magic circles emerged from the ground. A mana cage formed rapidly and locked the creature in, catching him off guard. Chains rapidly formed and tightened around the creature, earning me an excruciating howl. Then black flames emerged from the magic circle beneath the creature and enveloped him. Agony filled the creature's screams as I backed away in a hurry, I went up to the Archduke, hurriedly put his arm around me, and hastily dragged him away from the creature. 

"... Princess..?" I felt the Archduke stir beside me. I looked at him while trying to walk faster with all my might.

"Yes, Let's get out here, Your Grace..." I gritted my teeth as I let out a reply. The creature's screams pierced through my earbuds and I walked even more hurriedly. The Archduke woke up already so I didn't have to drag him and only supported him. There's a corridor a few feet away from us... As long as we get to that place, we'll at least have cover in case that creature gets out... I walked even faster. We're almost there..!

"Oh..!" A pleasant voice greeted us as we turned in the corridor. "Thankfully, I don't have to hassle myself looking for the both of you." I saw a hooded man with an insignia akin to those men I had knocked out a few floors below. He had a sinister smile etched on his face making his voice and appearance seem uncanny. Beside him... A woman crying pitifully being dragged by the man.

"... Milady..."

"... Marie..?"

I stood frozen. Why... Why is Marie here..? Isn't she with her sister...

"Don't you dare hurt her!" I said as I backed away slightly, preparing to launch an attack. He only laughed as he languidly walked forward, dragging Marie with him. Although I had just replenished my mana, I had almost spent it trying to trap that creature... I could still conjure a few mana bursts but I'm not sure if I have enough to even deal severe damage against that man. Plus Marie is within his grasp. I can't rashly attack with mana bursts... I gritted my teeth and racked my brain as to what I should do.

"Princess..." A faint whisper echoed in my ears and I looked on to the Archduke, who had been quiet since earlier, beside me. "... Bind him. I'll get her." As soon as he said that, my mouth opened forming the words...

"Disintegration. Shadow Bind: Poisonous Spider's web, cover." Two magic circles appear above and under the man and hands made of shadow crawled up to the man's legs seemingly dragging him down and ripping at his flesh. He screamed and the Archduke launched himself towards the man at that time and quickly retrieved Marie from the man's grasp. A spider web made out of shadow then covered the man's upper body and melted it into a puddle of molten flesh. The man's screams abruptly stopped and I looked at the Archduke and Marie beside me.

"Come, let's get moving. We don't have much time." I helped them get up and motioned for them to hurry. Marie and I helped the Archduke up as we walked towards the stairs. I hurried my steps but everything felt slow. No not again... Please not this time..!

BOOM!

An explosion ensued. Everything felt slow as I felt the Archduke's hands push me away from him. I looked at him with wide eyes knowing what he was doing. No... No..! 

"NO!!!" I screamed as the claws of that creature pierced mercilessly at the Archduke's body. 

Blood splattered everywhere. 

My eyes were stained red by it. 

I felt like the world stilled. 

Marie's screams and the creature's sinister laughter felt distant. Echoing slowly in my ears like my mother's screams in those desolate palace halls.

I felt like I had gone back ten years prior.

Helpless.

Hopeless.

Why is this happening again..?