twelve

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

I was intrigued.

I sat inside the athletes' lounge. I was on a mission to never meet with another damn tutor again. I was waiting for dad to come down here and meet with Coach and me. I wasn't asking for a handout, and it was quite embarrassing to involve my father.

It was disappointing for me to even allow him to know about how bad I had been struggling in my English class.

I felt like I was a failure.

Knowing that he fought tooth and nail to get me in this university and how easily I was just letting it slip through my hands. I needed to meet with him and Coach to see if there was any way that I could skip this English class or meet with the professor.

This whole tutoring thing was not going to work.

As I sipped on a Gatorade, I unlocked my phone. Instagram was filled with pictures of Blake walking around Paris, about Blake's dad being thrown behind bars. It was filled with Matti and Griffin signing with different sporting brands.

And then here I was.

Stuck all the way back where we all started. Somewhere in the middle, I fell behind all of the guys.

Sloane's picture filled my instagram feed that made me freeze my scrolling.

Her.

Little Ellie Webber.

Penn's sister.

Naomi's cousin.

She was a spitting image of Naomi, crazy right? Except she had bright blue eyes, her hair was crazy wavy. She wore her glasses all of the time too, except for that night.

She gave me a run for my money— she was snappy. Not as sassy as Sloane, but she had a wit to her that nobody I met, had.

I don't want to blame it on the glasses but if she had them on, I know for a fact that I wouldn't have had the thoughts that I did. That entire night was a shit show. She was hot, fuck she was beautiful, but that night was a shitshow.

I had gone through a lot that night.

I had a terrible game—terrible. Blake's dad was there, there were NFL scouts watching me, everyone was counting on me. I needed to be the best I could be. I needed to be the quarterback that everyone wanted me to be.

I needed to be better than anyone I had ever compared myself to.

And I couldn't do that.

I was fucked.

I felt like everything that I had ever worked for had slipped away from me. I worked so hard trying to be more successful than Matti had been. His words from the previous year telling me that I would never be better than him were on a constant repeat in my head.