fifty-four

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

Okay.

Maybe I stayed up for a few hours after she fell asleep last night just in case she decided to leave, I wouldn't wake up with my heart crushed. And to think I had left her in this situation of not knowing I was going to be there the morning after not once– but twice. I know I was not a scumbag, but wow I was a borderline scumbag.

And then whenever my eyes closed, and she scooted closer to me when she slept, it was like I could breathe. I could breathe because of the sole fact that maybe she would be able to forgive me for something that I could never forgive myself for.

They say time flies when you are having fun– and isn't that the truth? We were still two weeks out from Halloween, we were not even midway through the football season, not like I had to worry about that anymore.

But time flew when I was with her because being myself was easy, letting myself be whoever I wanted to be was possible. She made me feel infinite.

And I love the fuck out of her for that.

She might have the most expressive personality ever. I might act like I have an expressive personality, but somewhere in the middle of that we just proved that no matter how one acts, we are still the same at the end of the day.

She had scars that matched mine.

I stopped hurting myself when I was fifteen, whenever I discovered that I could allow someone to tackle me and it would hurt just as bad, if not worse, as a cut to my skin. Everyone has their reasons for hurting themself.

I always thought cutting myself open and bleeding out would help my trauma escape me.

But as I'm looking at the pretty girl who sat next to me in this sportscar I'm recognizing the fact that she helped me more than any tackle, or razor blade ever could.

Friend.

I could rock with a friendship.

We knew only a handful of things about eachother and I wanted to do this right. I wanted to take her on dates. I wanted lunch in between classes with her. I wanted the random movie nights. I wanted spontaneous sleepovers, and I would do anything to just spend time with her.