fifty-three

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

As a person who likes to dip her toes in the waters of English literature, there are a lot of words– big and small, that I have had the chance of reading. These words have meanings that could bring readers to their knees, to their feet, or– to tears.

I had always been a sucker for books that made me cry.

But there is one huge thing that books made me realize.

There are two times in your life when life flashes before your eyes.

Number one; When you are dying.

Obviously, the author will always write a very sad scene about a tragic death in which someone declares their love for someone who is trying to save them. Or the person who is saving them tries to declare their love for the one dying. Even after death, people talk about your life as if it flashed in front of their own eyes.

But before you die, your last thought is always the person who you thought you would become, the person who loves, the person who you have created a life with, and what you have done in your life. Sometimes there is some 'come to jesus' moment, but usually, the authors just leave that out.

As an avid reader, it took me a while to come to terms with what would make someone's life flash before their eyes but the word was simple– simpler than death– it was dreaming.

When the author writes about a character dreaming, you usually read about what the character wished would happen to them in their life instead of something else. These dreams are what you wish would've happened to you in your life whether it was current or future– but still, life flashed before your eyes.

I've read thousands of stories.

I've read millions of words.

I've dreamed a million dreams.

And I've almost died.

But never have I ever felt like I was reading the wrong page.

Until now.