twenty-six

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

I quickly typed away on my phone answering my dad as the only sounds in the room were heard from ESPN playing on the television and Monty's chewing.

My knee was bouncing up and down as my eyes flicked to the television screen.

"I'll tell you what, Collins is looking like a very promising first-round draft pick out of Ohio State, Brian." I chewed my lip as the other commentator agreed with whatever this fuckhead was saying.

"But Kevin, we also need to talk about Reese Joseph at Penn State. He has been holding the line there. It's not an easy thing to impress Buddy Webber and fill Matti Williams footsteps, but I think Joseph is one of the top contenders, if not thee top contender of the year."

Thank you, Brian.

"See– but if we pull up that clip," I turned away from the screen as the play of me getting hit hard last year replayed. Fuck. If that didn't make me nauseous then I don't know what would.

"That is a career-ending hit. Sadly," Fuck you. Fuck your mom. Fuck your wife. Fuck your sister. Fuck you.

"Turn that shit off man," Ignoring Monty I continued to listen to them talk about me on the television. I deserved better than that cheap shot that son of a bitch took at me.

"Kevin! Reese Joseph is thee comeback kid! He is quite frankly a lion on the field and he has something that Matti Williams didn't; defense. He will slam his body into someone because he knows he can. He is a top contender and I promise you, I will be shocked if he isn't the first pick this year."

The television was cut to black as I turned to face Monty. He gently set down the remote before sitting back down into the kitchen barstool. He picked up his spoon, stirring the cereal around before scooping up a few coca puffs.

"It's not good for you to watch those things," He spoke through his chewing.

I shrugged, twisting off the cap of my water bottle and chugging some water before sitting it down. "How do you know what's good for me?" I fired back as he gave me a sly smile, pointing the spoon at me.