fifty

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

According to Merriam Webster, the human heart is a hollow muscular organ that pumps the blood through the circulatory system by rhythmic contraction and dilation. In vertebrates there may be up to four chambers (as in humans), with two atria and two ventricles.

The human heart can beat up to one hundred and fifteen thousand times a day. Did you know that?

An adult-sized human heart is about the size of an adult fist. Did you know that?

The human heart can pump around two thousand gallons of blood a day. Did you know that?

When the human heart beats it makes that thumping noise because of the opening and closing of its valves. Did you know that? I didn't know this one– this is the only fact that I didn't know. However, I totally understand it now considering the fact that my mouth was a lot like the valves making noses due to the heart.

I placed my hand over my mouth to cover it as it was gasping for air.

What the hell did he just tell me?

"You are everything to me and more Ellie. If I had to lose everything to choose you, I would." He reached for my hands, trying to touch me. My left hand that was covering my mouth came down, I took a step away from him.

"You are so kind, you are so sensible, your smile drives me wild, and you have the biggest heart, El. Please know that I love everything about you. I was an idiot during the beginning of us." This time he was successful at grabbing my hands.

His thumbs brushed over my knuckles, trying to comfort me with the unsettling news. "It's been a month with you, Ellie. I can't stop thinking about you. I can't stop looking for you in every crowded room. I see something and it reminds me of you. I get out of practice and I can't wait to text you. I hate school but seeing you in the library is my favorite part of the day."

"I am so sorry I never noticed you before."

He always said that sentence to me. He always had done it. And the before now was not referencing time. It was referring to a person. He was referring to her. Naomi.