sixty-six

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

Love was a four-lettered word that made my heart pound with such might you would have never guessed that I almost bit the dust not so long ago. Love is a four-lettered word but do you know what is also a four-lettered word? Save. Life. Heat. Cold. Beat. Hate, and most importantly; read.

Growing up, I was always the girl who found happiness in pages full of fictional characters that made me cry– not because the book was sad– but because my life was, and how I would kill for a life-like these characters had. A handsome king saving the girl? I wanted it. The big bad alpha werewolf? Don't shame me– I needed it. The one where the gang leader gets the girl? Of course, give it to me. And my personal favorite; the one where the star quarterback gets the weird girl? Yeah. I wanted to be her too.

Even though I found myself getting lost in these pages I couldn't run forever from the fact that I was also lost in life. I had no friends–unless we were talking about the teachers at school. I always had a bad case of the zits. I never found the right brush or comb to tame my hair. I always had to change shirts because I would sweat through anything. I was nothing like those girls on the paper that I read and I tried to make myself like them.

And if it didn't work out, I would just change to a new point of view.

But no matter how many books I read, no matter how many characters I indulge myself in– I was never able to change the setting. I might have jumped right into the book as my eyes were flowing over the ink on the pages– but physically, I was still here in State College, Pennsylvania. It didn't matter how badly I wanted to be in Forks, Washington– I was here, I was Ellie.

"El," His tone was soft, knocking me out of my thoughts as I stared out his truck window. I hummed, turning to face him. His gentle gaze was so calming to me– was this what happiness for the rest of your life was supposed to feel like?

"You wanna go to this thing? We don't have to." The thing he was referring to was the Halloween party and if we are being honest, I do not feel like getting drunk with a bunch of college kids after knowing the week I had after I just left Mitch in that hospital bed. I had taken way too long to answer because he took my silence instead of my voice. He moved the gear shift, putting the truck in drive and pulling away from his house. "Reese, your party–" He cut me off with a laugh.