fifty-one

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

I believe that there are moments in our life that were meant to happen for one reason and one reason only.

These moments are the one-take moments that make you freeze and rethink every single moment that had led up to it. The risk, the reward, the payoff. For example, getting your first big person job– all of that hard work in school paid off. Another example is your wedding day. The day that reminds you that all of that other heartbreak you went through was minuscule compared to this moment. And one last example, right after you give birth– all of the blood, sweat, and tears were worth it.

Which is exactly why when those three words left his mouth, I was frozen. I was frozen and I was rethinking every single possible thing that I could have ever gone through to deserve this moment. This moment that I had dreamed of. This moment that I replayed in my head night after night before I went to sleep. A moment that I would remember forever.

A boy finally told me that he loved me.

A boy– a man, stood in front of me at a whopping six-foot-three height. He had eye smudge all the way to his chin. He wore a football hoodie that had his name and number on the back of it. It was white, which made his California sun-kissed skin look more tan. His teeth were whiter than they had ever been, I knew this. I observed him a lot.

I used to like it when he spoke to me.

His blonde hair was crazy as it sat on top of his head. His chin was quivering and his eyes were almost filled with tears. Tears of anger, tears of sadness, tears of love– why was he crying?

"Don't."

I shoved his hand off of me and walked down the sidewalk toward the hotel. Once again, I was walking away from him this time more miserable than ever.

A man was supposed to tell you that he loved you when he felt the love at that moment. Reese Joseph had committed the worst crime in a hopeless romantics' eyes: confessing love when he was desperate. Not when he actually meant it.

"Ellie, please. Oh my god, please. You have to understand," I was pulled down a side alleyway and pushed up against a stiff brick wall. I gasped as his palms slapped the brick right next to my face. His arms hovered right next to either side of my head, and I couldn't stare at him. I couldn't even find the right words to speak.